Thursday, March 14, 2019

There are Different Forms of Practice - Project Hunger Games

Katniss (of the Project Hunger Game Series section of my blog) shared with me a few months ago one afternoon that she was playing well, even though she hadn't been able to practice but one time that week. And that "it was very unusual for me to not practice more."

I discovered that she plays league twice a week, maybe plays a tournament once on the weekends, and also still practices three to four times a week.

Holy cow that's a lot of pool!

I was hesitant to share my opinion, but I really thought she was practicing too much. I actually consider league practice and also playing in tournaments practice. Sure, those are not dedicated "practice sessions" (if we want to put a label on it), but it's still playing pool - it's still working on your game. 

Let me put it this way, if you not playing league or tournaments or gambling, then yes, you should be putting in a practice session or two a week if you can because otherwise you aren't playing at all.

Further, this might sound silly, but if in your mind you think you have to practice, let's say four times a week, and you only get to practice two times that week, you might think it will hurt your play.  And you might blame not shooting well because you didn't put in your normal 4-times-a-week practice session. Yet, the reason could be stress at work or not enough sleep or because you just had a bad night.  What I didn't want Katniss to get in the habit was, was to think that she had to practice four times a week to play well.

I shared with her, "You may not like this, but I think you practice too much lol. So, only practicing once, then having league twice, and playing in a tournament is actually a lot of pool. :) Therefore, it makes sense to me you are still playing well, even tho you don't feel like you practiced enough.  I think reading can be considered a "practice" day because you are still working on your game, for example. :)"

She explained, "Yes, I do practice a lot, but I enjoy it! I'm obsessed with the game lol. I may back off some. Well, I will try anyway, lol."

I explained further, because I didn't want to deter her, "I'm not necessarily saying back off a lot. But I am suggesting that you should consider league night, reading, gambling, and/or playing a weekly tournament as forms of practice. So if you don't get in the dedicated practice you are used to, you'll still feel good. :)"

She replied, "That is true. Hmmm, never thought of it like that."

What I diddn't share with her is that sometimes when we ease up on so much dedicated practice, and realize that other activities (reading, playing league, watching videos, etc.) are a form of practice by working on our game, it actually helps us. Consequently, we will still play well (and sometimes better!), even though we aren't physically playing pool during a "dedicated practice session." 

I talked to her over the weekend and she said she hasn't been practicing as much. I was surprsied, as I didn't think she was really going to cut down the number of her dedicated practice sessions.  

I was like, "Really?"

"Yep," she said, "And you know what? I'm playing better."  

I smiled to myself and was so happy she experienced that positive consequence! 


No comments: