Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Pool Family

One thing that is really cool about playing pool is how the pool community is really family.

I love it how when a player is in need, the pool family comes to the rescue.  I've seen raffles to raise money for players in the hospital, pool tournaments put on to raise money for players who need help (houses burned down, tornado damage, health issues, etc), and even donations simply for players who need assistance with a crisis.

The other part of the pool family aspect I appreciate is when we need help with industry or service-type things, the pool world is there for us.

Sure, there are some bad apples, but there are also a lot of good, decent pool players who own their own business or have a specialty that can help when we need expert advice or things fixed that we may not be able to do on our own.

Here are just a few examples:

  • My roof was damaged by hail from severe storms last Spring and was re-done by a pool player who owns his own roofing company.
  • I had some issues with several areas in my house that needed the expertise of an electrician.  I called one of my league friends who does that type of work and he came over and resolved the electrical concerns.
  • I recently had some rain damage to my back door and found out one of the players on the tour works for a home inspection company and he was able to come over and inspect the areas that were damaged (saved me a lot of money). 
  • One of my friends was in a car accident and was hit by a semi truck.  I overheard him getting advice from a guy who drives semi trucks for a living.
  • Another pool player friend needed help with their fence and sprinkler system and one of the guys on the tour owns their own fence and sprinkler company and was able to help them out.
  • Another pool player works for an A/C company and he's been able to make side money by helping some of the players with the broken A/C systems.
  • Several pool players also own their own plumbing company and have been able to save many friends in time of need (saving time and money).
  • And not just physical things, but emotional support, as well:  Sometimes pool players become great friends who introduce us to faith or provide us help/resources with addiction.  
The list goes on and on.  

I think it's actually really cool to be able to have a group of friends (pool family) that can help us in many areas of our lives.  Instead of flipping through the yellow pages (or asking Siri or Google), we prolly know many experts already among the pool community.

Pretty awesome pool family we have when we can depend on them for help, support, and comfort in times of need.



No comments: