Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Handshake

A few weeks ago, I subbed for a friend of mine on Monday night for her league, because they have to have at least 2 female players play each Monday night out of the 5 players on each team.

Ironically, I have been asked to join this league by 3-4 different female friends over the past few years.

I enjoyed the night so much, I'm no longer a sub - I'm ON the team! 

The timing was perfect as my other Monday night league doesn't start back up til August.  Everyone keeps talking about the end-of-season tournament and how much money is in it, so I felt I shouldn't pass it up right now because I happen to have the time to play and get enough weeks in to qualify for that.

This past Monday on the new league, I played a cocky player my very first match.  He's always strutting around the table, sometimes he makes sarcastic comments at other players in the heat of the battle, and he is very protective of his girlfriend.  He has always been nice to me and I have no problem with him at all.

I walk up and shake his hand before I break, and it was a nice, firm, friendly shake.

I don't make a ball on the break. 

His very first shot at the table, he goes for a 9ball combo, but misses.  I see I can kick the 9ball in if I hit it correctly off the rail between two other balls.  I get down to shoot, and even though I aim to make it, I am wishing on a hope and prayer, as I really don't think I will make it.

Well, I DID!

My teammates clap loudly for me, as this was our first win of the night and I got us on the board.

I went to shake my opponents hand and all of a sudden he gives me a wimpy handshake!  Like a dead fish.  You know, the weak hand shake like you don't want to shake hands, or like you have cooties or something.  No longer firm, no longer cocky, he's not happy this chick beat him; beat him like that.  Even though he tried to combo the 9ball first.

I should be thankful he even shook my hand at all, but it really caught me off guard he acted like that with this wimpy handshake after losing.






No comments: