Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Missing on Purpose

Let me share something about playing different levels of players.

I learned many, many years ago to not try to run out if I can't against an opponent that can't run out either.  Further, don't even try a tough run if my opponent is less knowledgeable about the game and the run is tough.

I'm not trying to be rude, it's fact.  And it's strategy.  And it's not "well-known," but known, if that makes sense, lol.

If I was playing a female pro player, I'd never do this.  Or, a top player.  You don't turn the table over after a deliberate miss to real good players. 

Here is the strategy:  you are playing against someone that can't run out regularly.  You see a cluster (you are playing 9ball for example) and it would be a really tough out.

Why not punt?  Why not hand over the table to your opponent and let them deal with the tied-up balls? 

What happens is, you either play a weak safe (i.e. deliberately don't lock them up) or you "accidentally" miss a shot.  Yep, you LEAVE your opponent an open shot.  Then your opponent will make a few balls and try to do something with the cluster soon down the road.  They will do the dirty work for you.

Now, this doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't work all the time, and other times, they will figure out ways to get out, lol.

But, if you figure out when you can do this and who not do this to, you will more than likely be the victor of this strategic move.

Now, what if someone does this to you (like has been done to me).  I admit it kinda freaks me out - did they miss deliberately against me?   LOL.  I just try to not to "worry" about it and just play my best and smart against them.  That's all we can do, right?  Play smart or smarter.  :)


No comments: