Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Respect

The other day I was trying to figure out why I am able to compete against some female opponents that my friends can't stand to play. There are some players that really get on the nerves of my friends and my friends get upset and frustrated. Usually it's the antics during a match that bother them the most:
  • they have a really crappy attitude
  • they act like they are better than everyone else
  • they shout out after they win matches
  • they hand pump their fist some times
  • they throw temper tantrums
  • they make snide comments during their matches to their opponents
  • they make rude comments while watching matches
  • they wish out loud for bad rolls for their opponent
While I play these same players, I am able to easily just play pool against them, instead of letting mental angst get in my way about their rude attitude and bitchy demeanor at the table. I don't get mad at them for who they are; I don't let their actions affect me.

I finally figured out WHY: I respect their game. Yep, I really really do.

The people I am describing above all still play well. Just because they have a "different" demeanor at the table than the polite player we prefer to play, I still respect their game and their ability because they play well.

Do I wish I didn't have to see all these crazy antics and hear rude comments? You betcha! But, I try to not let their attitude get in the way of the competition. I know I need to show up with a strong mental attitude to play these players and I just try to accept their antics.

Admittedly, sometimes when my mental strength is not strong (for whatever reason) their antics have been known to upset me during a match. But I know ahead of time about their possible actions so I usually prepare for it.

I think it's tough for some peeps to accept that "players with attitudes" can also be good players. I have no issue fully admitting they can play well.

1 comment:

Johnny said...

Ha! I just a few minutes ago posted (as a tangent) a similar situation. We have a teammate who plays really... really well, but just has one of those personalities. If he's playing poorly, the whole world has to know why he missed that shot. He's really knowledgeable though and, depending on the direction of the wind, sometimes shares that info - but not always in the nicest of ways. I can't tune out his noise-making yet, but I still learn by *watching* his game, not listening to it.