Sunday, May 9, 2010

How Things Happen...

There was a charity tournament event in the Dallas area for a friend in Dec 2008. Many cool things were donated to raise money (homemade chili, cash, a lot of cues, gift cards, autographed photos by The Babe, baked goods for sale, etc). I donated 2 paid entry fees to a ladies event and to a men's event for local tourneys in the area. I also had a crazy idea to donate a dinner. They were having a silent auction and so I donated a dinner with me. Whoever won the dinner, I would pay for the meal. A friend of mine made fun of me for that donation. I believe she said it sounded like I was vain or something along those lines. While that bothered me, I stood by my idea - I thought it would be a great way for me to meet someone new or have dinner with someone I already know, and also help her charity. The repercussions of that donation has been amazing.

First of all, almost $6,000 was raised for my friend who didn't have insurance for her cancer. The charity event/tournament was a huge success! (and btw, my friend is doing well).

The Monday after the event, Royce Bunnell of OB Cues tells me that our league mate named Robert Cleland (whom I didn't really know) won the dinner with me. Royce told me Robert exclaimed after he won it that he felt he won the best raffle item of the event. I thought that was super sweet of him to say.

Turns out, that dinner has led me to a lot of topics in my blog, and also helped me in my personal life. Robert told me over that dinner about this straight pool league he was in. He said I would love the game and it would also help my overall pool game. He was to let me know when the next season started up and as soon as he did, I joined it... and have never looked back!

Robert also not only introduced me to pool, he understands fully when my Mom is in the hospital due to her emphysema. Robert lost his wife to cancer a few years ago and he recalls all the rough, long days and nights in the hospital. Robert is also an only child like myself, so he can relate to how tough it can be.

Robert and I are great pool buddies and because he is in my life because of that "vain" dinner donation, I now love straight pool, have a friend to lean on during tough times, and also have a dinner date when I want one. :) Robert and I try to still go to dinner every once in a while to catch up. He and his son both play that Straight Pool league and other 8ball leagues in the area - so I get to run into them all the time now. I have appreciated Robert's help on so many levels.

Robert and I at an end of season league dinner with our team.

No comments: