Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fourth Ladies Tour Stop of 2009

The 4th stop of the OB Cues Ladies Tour was held in mid June at Bogies Billiards in Houston, Texas.

Monica running the tourney.

After an opening round bye, I had to play my roommate for the trip and fellow board member, Lucille Donahue. Lucille has not been feeling well for almost two years so it was really good to finally see her. I was playing okay when I played her, but we also chatted a lot during the match. :)

Here is Lucille and I right before dinner.

I then found out I was playing Orietta Strickland - a very good player from Dallas. And on top of that, I found out I would be playing on the live streaming table. I prepared myself mentally and told myself I would need to focus and play well to beat her. Well, I did! I had a few racks where I ran out from the 1 or 2 and was playing quite well. I didn't get ahead of myself and if I faltered with my thinking, I told myself to get back in the moment. She did miss one 8 ball and a safe, but overall I did play better. I think I won 7-3. Even her fiance', Bert Kinister, told me after the match that I played well. Wow!

Camera-happy, Amanda and I.

After the match, several fellow players and friends complimented me on the good win and because I was myself a little "wowed" I think it didn't allow me to focus on my next match.

I played Lisa Marr next and it was like night and day. I wasn't mentally into the game and funny things kept happening - I scratched about 4 times and pretty much gave the match away. Matches with her go very fast and I wasn't able to regroup in time and start playing my game. Plus, she is one of the top players of the tour and so she didn't make many mistakes. I think I expected to do better, instead of mentally ensuring I would (if that makes sense), because of the good win earlier. I ended up losing 2-7 or 3-7. :( I definitely was not mentally strong in this match.

I was then set to play for 9th place on Sunday morning, so at least I was still in the main tourney on Sunday!

Saturday night, a group of us went to eat at the delish Texas Roadhouse where we also celebrated Carter and Monica's B Day with a little fake bull riding!

Monica and Carter on the Birthday Bull!


Waiting for our table of ten to be ready.

Sunday morning I played my friend Elissa Jordan first. I won 7-4. I played some good safes that helped me win the match.

I then played Kim Pierce next - this would mean either finishing in 7th place or moving on to play for 5th.

Here I am playing on Sunday.

I ran out nice on the first game but scratched on a tough 9 ball (but it was two-rail scratch shot I realized afterwards, lol). Next game I left a 2-9 combo. Next game I missed an 8 ball. I was down 0-4 and told myself DO NOT give up. DO NOT think about how I gave those games away. Focus on staying down. I ended up crawling back to 4-3 when a scratch on the 1-ball gave her ball in hand and she ran out! Ugh. I tried not to get deflated and tied it 5-5. She got on the hill first and then I joined her by staying down and taking my time and feeling pureness of my proper shot routine. At 6-6, I hooked myself on the 2ball but kicked it... however left her a shot. She shot in the 2-4balls and by the 5ball she was sitting pretty and getting great shape to run out the rack to win and she did. I was very proud of her but also proud of myself for not giving up when I was down 0-4!

So, 7th outta 44 players.

To return to describing my overall feelings of the tournament in one word (that I seem to keep forgetting to do), I will say with this tournament I was delighted but surprised!

Check out all the photos here.

As I drove home alone for the 4 hour drive in the early evening, I realized my mind, attitude, and spirit were extremely tired. And, I didn't know... but because of that the next week I would make a big change.

Until Next Time....

1 comment:

Samm said...

I wish I could've been there. Miss ya!