Thursday, July 9, 2009

Why Trigger?

My "handle" on the AZB Forums is "akaTrigger." When you sign up, you get to pick a name! I know, it's exciting, right?! I picked "Melinda" (well, that IS my name) back in March of 2003 and went on my merry way until Nov 2007 when I changed it to akaTrigger.

Many have asked me why I'm called "Trigger." So, here is the background:

I had been looking for a nickname for many years. In the late 90s, Tracie Hines' husband called me "The Quiet Storm" and it was PERFECT. I loved it! I am a meteorologist and was looking for a weather-related nickname, but eventually Jeannie Seaver was also being called that b/c she was from Florida. Her and I are friends and she was turning pro (I was no where close), so I went back to the drawing board.

Little did I know it would take almost 8 years to find a new one I liked.

Like everyone said, the good nicknames usually came someone else, usually spur of the moment type of thing in a pool hall. My experience was no different.

I went to a new tournament in Oct 2007 and the Tournament Director (Dennis) yells across the room during my first match, "Way to go, Trigger!" He had bought me in the calcutta and was happy for my win. I was like, "oh my - I love that!" He didn't know I was looking for a nickname, but I liked it!  I also had no idea at the time it had anything to do with Roy Rogers and his horse, lol.

I thought about it for a few weeks and decided I really did want that as my nickname. Now some may ask, "why do you need a nickname, who the hell are you?" And while I didn't need one, nor had I won any major titles, the idea of a nickname was cool to me.

I then went to the fine folks on the forums to ask them what I should change my handle to because there was already a "Trigger" signed up. Well, one of my AZB forum friends, Pinocchio, replies simply, "akaTrigger!!"

There were many other replies/suggestions:

The Trigger,
Melinda the Trigger,
Trigger Happy,
Trigga,
The Texas Trigger,
Trig,

and of course many suggestions for weather-related nicknames were offered, but none hit home with me like Trigger (even though many remind me that Trigger was actually a stuffed horse!).

So, there you have it - the story behind the story of akaTrigger. :)

1 comment:

Samm said...

I <3 Trigger...