Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Playing With Strangers

I think sometimes it's actually better to play pool where no one knows your name. Yes I know that is a reference to the show Cheers, but it's very apropos.

The reason I say that is I have heard lately from several players that when people start complaining about how good you are or have improved a lot, it actually leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

One local player was venting on Facebook about needing a break from pool because everyone was giving him a hard time about all the weight they needed to gamble with him. He was just really frustrated with all the nits and the complainers that he is finding in the pool room of late.

I actually got a lot of complaints when I played at BCA Texas state because some people were upset that I was just an open player.  But I actually don't know why they would get upset at me when I'm not the one who decides my ranking.  It's the national guys who figure out the rankings... so getting upset with me doesn't even make sense.  And like my friend who is hearing a bunch of complaints too, I understand because it is very frustrating and takes away from the fun of the game.

A couple of other friends are very high ranked players and so when they enter tournaments they get slack as well because players complain that they are playing in a state tournament.  Or even when they show up to weekly tournaments, they get slack as soon as they walk in the door.  "Oh, you're playing here tonight.  Really?"

And what's crazy is the good players just want to play pool like everybody else.

So that's why I think it's sometimes a lot better to play around strangers.  Where no one knows your name.  Or you won't get comments, nits around you, and you get to play the game we all love.



No comments: