Monday, February 4, 2008

Second Tourney of 2008 - FE Tour

How would I describe this tournament? I had a semi-successful but disappointing tournament, while at the same time felt "in my element" (i.e., let my personality out a little more than usual) throughout the day. So, distraught but happy.

I gave this tournament more pre-tournament-thought than the previous one. I just "showed up" to the last tournament, but this time I prepared myself mentally. Gave purposeful thought to play well by preparing my mental toughness - I envisioned myself playing well and prepared my mental energy into 'tournament mode.'

I did not get there early like I wanted to on Sunday morning, but I still had time to take photos before I played. I didn't practice like I sometimes do, but I would be okay. It's not yet in my routine to hit balls the morning of a tournament. If I do it, fine, if not, then I accept that and not let it bother me mentally in my matches. I knew I had played quite well at league the last two weeks and also got in some real good 'conditioning practice sessions' at the two previous Mondays (chicks play free on Mondays at the room I practice at: Rusty's Billiards). I have been staying down well and executing my pre shot routine good, so I felt good going into the tournament.

I got a bye the first round - well, 15 others did, too ;) - and I then played H.H. first. She's a very tough player but I didn't let those facts enter too far into my thoughts and just stepped up to the table ready to play my game. I played fairly well, but missed some crucial shots, but she was struggling (early morning match?) and I tried to capitalize and won 7-2 or 7-4. I then played C.W. next and she is such a sweet girl, but I hadn't played her before, but knew she could "come with it." I did bear down and played tough/good, but at the same time, the rolls were not going her way - so I didn't really see her true game, unfortunately. I won 7-3.

Then I played H.L. and knew it would be a tough match. By the time we played, I admit, I was tired. We had a long wait and I noticed I wasn't smiling as much when I chatted with some new friends and was getting a slight headache and could feel my body getting tired. I ate a blue berry bar (based on a thread on AZBillliards) but it didn't really matter - she played lights out! I have seen her play for many years and she is an amazing competitor, but her game was even more so elevated this day. I was frustrated I wasn't getting many opportunities and only after the day ended could I fully appreciate her talent and was actually very happy about her play at the table; her skill at the table. I played very well the first game, and felt comfortable/good about my stroke, but accidentally hooked myself on the 5 ball. She missed ball in hand trying to play shape on a tricky 6 ball but left me hooked, which I proceeded to scratch on. She then ran out. I scratched on the break and she ran out. Then she broke and ran. At this point, I tell myself that most players don't normally play well the entire match so I just needed to wait for my opportunities. Well, she didn't falter until she had me down 5-0! She scratched on the 8 ball - hey, I didn't get skunked! The next game, she played a safe on the 9ball and I tried to (double) bank it but it rolled off and it didn't go in. Dang it! I can't say enough how well she was playing. I noticed she focused on three ball shape extensively... I don't mean she took a lot of time, I mean she was deliberate and did not "assume" where the cue ball should be for three ball shape. She defeated me 1-7.

I then had to wait a little bit to play my next match and tried not to think about who I'd rather play between the two ladies who were playing in the match before me. I put my ipod on and practiced - just like I do during my Monday night practice sessions.

I played M.A. next. I walked to the table and saw it didn't have a red circle cue ball on it and grabbed one from a nearby table that wasn't being played on by the guys. My opponent says she would like to use the house cue ball. I reply confused, "What?" She replies that she prefers the red circle also, but in her matches this day she mostly used the house cue ball (there wasn't enough red circles available) and so she wanted to use it. I stood my ground and said, "well, I want to use a red circle, I guess we ask the Tournament Director what to do."

I find out that if the players don't agree, the house cue ball is suppose to be used. WTF? I was pretty disturbed and stated out loud in front of my opponent and to the TD that I thought it was a stupid rule. As nonconfrontational as I am, I still thought it was absurd. I would find out after the match that the red circles are being discontinued (I think because people are walking off with them) and so the tour is eventually going to stop using them. I understand the rule now but wish I knew it before and wished it didn't get to me.

I was concerned I wouldn't play well because I was perturbed. My brow was crinkled and I wasn't smiling (not that I do when I play) but my face was not relaxed; I was ticked and was afraid I wouldn't be thinking clear. However, I surprised myself - I played good! It was a short race to five and I won 5-2. I did get a few opportunities, but I took advantage of them and felt like I played and focused well.

Now I am guaranteed 4th, but like so many times, tried not to think that I was in the money and tried not to relax; tried not to get comfortable that I reached that spot. I am honestly tired of getting to that point in tournaments and then playing 'relaxed.' I am making more progress, as of the last 4 months... but I wanted to play for 3rd place so badly. I missed the 9ball to go up 3-1 (hit it soft and let up on my stroke). At 4-2, I missed a 7-ball (a tough shot for me that I need to REALLY work on), then a tough 6 ball in the next game. Each missed shot could have been prevented if I got better shape. I looked where I wanted the cue ball to be, but I guess I still wasn't sure of my decision when I executed the shot before each of those tough cuts... and therefore left myself bad. In the beginning of the match, I made some tough shots off of my mis-shapes, but when I was on the hill, I just couldn't finish off the games when I got bad shape. I even tried to follow through well during those shots so I wasn't poking at them (I tend to poke at what I consider 'tough for me' shots) but I was already too worried about the shots and didn't bare down. A.C. came back and tied it hill hill. And then the last game she really, really ran out beautifully for the win!

I was simply exhausted and disappointed again after that game. Several people said I should have won and I should have, but I couldn't seal the win. She ran out good the last game and deserved the win.

So, I got 4th which was in the money (cool!) and even got a little jelly from my calcutta money. Even though I never buy half myself, my friend Ray is starting to do that and he gave me some jelly.

Until next time, which is two tournaments in a row the next two weekends!

No comments: