Wednesday, January 23, 2008

First Event of 2008

Well, crash and burn would describe my first tournament of 2008. :)

I arrived the night before to San Angelo, Texas for the Fast Eddie's event. My hotel room was not pleasant and I even asked (and received) my money back the next morning. I ate at IHOP for breakfast and had a terrible time with several versions of the pancakes and probably frustrated my waitress (I like my pancakes warm - how else does the butter melt, right?). Although these two sentences make it sound like I'm a diva - LOL - I swear I'm not! It was the first time I ever complained about a room (there was hair in the bed and the bathroom!), but I admit not the first time I asked for my pancakes hotter. :)

I then walked in to the brand new pool room and was very happy to see everyone and said all my hello's and hi's. Practiced a few games and then grabbed my camera to take photos of the guys who remained in the event as of Sunday morning.

Only eleven ladies ventured to the Sunday-only women's event (most likely because San Angelo is not close to most large cities in Texas).

My Stats:

Bye
5-7, Kim M.
Bye
2-5, Alicia T.

I didn't play bad my first match, but my opponent (a new girl) played very well. She got out the first game after I missed the 5 ball. She made an invisible statement - "You don't know me, but I can play." I was impressed with her run and knew my hands would be full. I ran out nicely after a well-placed safe on the next game. I then ran out even better the next game from the 3-ball and was up 2-1. I then was then down 3-2. Tied it back 3-3. Down 4-3. Tied it 4-4. Down 5-4. Tied it 5-5. After a few mistakes on my part and few rolls for her, I lost 5-7. She played good. I was happy to see a player taking advantage of mistakes and getting out!

After another bye, I had the privilege of playing next a league mate of mine.. but I was struggling. I tied it 2-2, but that was the last game I could muster. I missed (albeit a tough and tricky) combo with the 7 ball and the 9 ball in the sixth game (the combo was unfortunately my only option, because the 9 was in front of the pocket, but it wasn't an easy combo). That miss led her to win another game and led me to wrongly feel like I needed to 'catch up' instead of simply enjoying the 'process of playing pool.' Reflecting back - I hadn't played competitively in several weeks and that combined with my lack of "my conditioning practice" may have led to my demise. Plus, I wasn't really stroking the ball well (I would realize during my practice session the next night).

I hadn't really been out that early in a women's tournament in a couple of years, but this only pushed me more to get to the pool room the next night to jump on the table and work on my conditioning. I struggled for the first hour. I wasn't practicing well at all! Then I decided to REALLY focus on my shot routine and finally figured out what was going on. I wasn't pausing and then looking at the cueball last consistently, deliberately. Yes, I have been playing pool for MANY years, but I still struggle with the repetitiveness of my preshot routine. That's why I love practicing by myself - to help condition my body/memory-muscle to stay down, follow through, look at the cueball last, etc.

Until next time.

No comments: