Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Best Person for the Clutch Job (Part 3 of 4)

== Skip this section if you have read the Intro already ==

What I have learned through watching, learning, judging, and listening, is the clutch player may not be the person on the team that you would "expect" to be the clutch.  There are good reasons why, we just aren't privy to those reasons.

What are the characteristics of a clutch player?  Who do you want it to be?  Do you have a person on the team who can be all you envision for that important role?

What if you don't have a well-rounded player on your team?  What do you do then?  Let's examine some examples I have witnessed in my 20+ years of playing in leagues.

I will put them in separate blog entries so you wont be reading one long blog post for hours on end, lol.

== Part 3 Below ==


We see players trying to make balls into holes with cuesticks and yet we have NO IDEA their background.

I was confused why a certain player on another team was the clutch player.

She wasn't the best pool player on the team.  I didn't understand why the captain would even think of that, or put the team in that position.

This is where I incorrectly judged someone. 

Turns out I had no idea this particular player was a seasoned sports player already.  And while her sport in high school and college was not billiards, the years of experience in the other sports had prepared her mentally to easily be the clutch person for her team.


She knew how to handle "pressure" and she LIKED to be put in that position for the team.   And, it worked out perfectly because no one else on the team wanted that responsibility.

She knew she could handle any loss for her teammates and she also was able to handle herself mentally for the situation of hill-hill games in a playoffs or championship titles.

I no longer question team decisions :)

Taught me a lesson here for sure.

==

You can find Part 1 here, and Part 2 here


No comments: