Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Forfeiting Players, and a Classy Move

During the first Omega Billiards Tour of the season in early Jan (of this year, 2016) a couple of weird things happened.

I made a point (emphatically) during the players meeting that I might forfeit players if they disappear.  We had 97 players in the tournament and needed it to flow well because we had more players than usual.  And in the past, it has been VERY frustrating calling names and then we find out the players are out in the parking lot or down the street getting food when we have matches that need to be played.

I even joked it was my wish for the year for the Tour (and the two ladies that help me run it), if the players could be cognizant of where they are on the chart and not leave.

Although, I was really kinda joking.  I wouldn't forfeit anyone, lol.

Little did I know I would be put to the test 10 hours later.

Later into Saturday night, I found myself in a VERY tough position.  After waiting 30 minutes (WAY too long) for a player, I forfeited him.  A friend had called him and he was on his way back to the pool room, but we had been calling his name for over 30 minutes.  He walked in 5 minutes after I forfeited him and I felt like SHIT.

Then the next morning, my scotch doubles partner (and a guy who is like a brother to me), overslept and was late to his winner's side match.  I had to forfeit him, too.  He made it for the one-loss side match and ended up placing 5th.  But he was SUPER mad at himself, no one else.

But what about the guy from Saturday night?  He is a friend of mine, too, and I was super worried about how he would react the next time he saw me.  Well, if he ever played in another Omega.

He showed up deliberately Sunday morning to talk to me.  He gave me a big hug and said, "hey, no hard feelings at all.  It was my fault.  I looked at the chart wrong or thought I had more time."

I tried to apologize and he cut me off, "don't even worry about it.  Really.  Don't feel bad or anything.  You did what you had to do and I have no ill feelings at all," as he gave me another hug.

It was the first person/time I have every forfeited someone on a Saturday - I would normally skip their match and play someone else while we tried to find the players.  But with 97 players, we could not afford to (and I made a big deal about it during the Player's Meeting so I kinda had to stand my ground).

But being who I am, I still care and so I was really worried about his reaction.

He could have just never said anything, been rude to me, never played again, or just not even cared.  But, he did.

He completely blew me away by apologizing and coming up to the pool room the next day specifically to talk to me, to make sure *I* was okay.

Impressive.

I told many people about it - it was very classy.

 

No comments: