Monday, May 5, 2014

That One Winning Song

Brad Gilbert talks in his book, Winning Ugly, about singing a song in your head to help calm your nerves.

That is great advice.

You know what else songs can do, right?

Yep, immediately take you back to an event in your past.

Well, imagine my surprise when on a plane recently Rory Mcilroy stated in a Bose advertisement:

"When I won my first major, I listened to the same song every day on the way to the tournament.  It played in my head over and over all the way around the course.  So whenever I want to remember that winning feeling, all I need to hear is that song."




WOW!

I can so relate!

My first ever tournament first place win was at the end of 2009 at the Fast Eddies Tour stop Season Finale.  I was completely and utterly in the zone and I distinctly recall this song that played, and now EVERY time I hear it, I picture myself in that match, playing solid, playing in the zone, and winning.

While it's not the song that helped me win, it's just the song that when it comes on immediately takes me back to the finals.

It was Chris Brown's "I can Transform Ya" with Lil Wayne.  It was just a quirky little different song that when it came on I remembered it and now correlate it with that win.

I wonder what Mcilroy's was??  I bet it was something he deliberately chose to listen to to pump him up!  :)

What's yours that gets you pumped up??


1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I'm so excited" by the Pointer Sisters got me through boot camp.

"Purple Rain" by Prince was my song while playing chess. I use to watch the movie the night before a tournament. During the tournament "Let the river run" by Carly Simon from the movie "Working Girl" and "Solid as a Rock" by Bob Seger.

It drives my wife nuts, but I usually only listen to one song while practicing pool at home. She can take an hour or so, but if I want to listen to one song for 8-12 hours straight I have to be alone. One beat, one rhythm, one mood and I can practice for hours. The song that I use the most is Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like I Do". The song is almost 14 minutes long. You don't feel too high nor low. I have used "Purple Rain" and "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood.

I experimented with songs in 3/4 time, but it is not me. Songs that change time signatures multiple times do nothing for my pool game.

I read a book "Zen Pool" by Max Eberle that talked about getting in rhythm with music. He didn't specifically state to use one song with head phones, but did talk about walking and moving to the beat to get in stroke. Good book.