Sunday, February 24, 2013

Good Shot

I was playing in the BCAPL Nationals Women's Team event one year and I shot my last shot before the 8 ball and I messed up my shape!  As soon as I realized the shape wasn't good, I got internally deflated.

However, something weird happened.  The top player on our team says out loud, "good shot!"

I'm thinking to myself, "how is that a good shot?  I can't make the 8 ball down the rail into the corner now."

The 8ball was sitting sort of in front of the side pocket, but it couldn't go.

OR at least I thought.

Once I heard her say that, I second guessed the shot in the side. 

"Hmmm, maybe it does go?"

Sure enough, the 8ball could go in the side; not easy, but doable.

I made the 8ball and two things came from that experience.

One was - don't underestimate the side pocket or be afraid of it, like I had been in the past.

Second, sometimes saying "Good shot" out loud to people (like my boyfriend or friend when they are playing), I don't say it because it's a great shot, I say it because it wasn't a perfect shot TO THEM, but that let's them know they are still at the table, with options.  Even if they didn't get perfect shape, it's not the end of the world and they can still get out.

No comments: