Monday, May 25, 2015

Play By Play?

I was approached by the ladies who run the OnTheRail stream at the very beginning of the BCAPL Texas state tourney.

They asked if I would like to try something new.

They thought that my "fans" would love to follow me online and see my progress DURING the matches.

First of all, I doubt people want to follow me THAT closely.  Second, I was honored they wanted me to test it, but I was apprehensive.  Third, I really wanted to focus on my matches.

You see, I'd have to use their tablet or my phone and take score after each GAME - not each match.  I I thought it would actually be distracting for myself AND my opponent if I was to take score on an electronic device after every single game.

And I also thinks that's a little bit pressure to know my scores are online in real time.  She would have wanted me to advertise I was testing it, and I don't need any extra added pressure, lol.

I told her I was flattered she asked me, but since I was the defending champion, I just didn't want to do it during my first match, esp since I knew who we were to be playing in the first round of scotch doubles.

After we won, I again didn't want do do it because it was a tough team and friends.  I just imagined all these things in my head : distraction, upsetting my opponents, me not concentrating on my game, etc.

I went back and told them I didn't feel comfy.  She said, "maybe singles?"

Well, I was defending champion for that event, too, lol, and I really didn't want any distractions or interference.

I think if everyone does this, it would be okay, but having just a few people test it without it being well advertised would just be bothersome to myself and my opponents.  I know I would care more about how my opponent felt about me taking score on an electronic device and if I was bothering them, instead of focusing on my game.

And I had SEVERAL hill-hill, close, emotional matches and as I reflect back, it definitely would have not been good.

The website is called http://www.scoresaloon.com if you want to check it out.  Maybe this will be something in the future for all pool players?


No comments: