Friday, May 29, 2015

Be Aware of the Drunks

I was playing league last night in my ladies league.

Before we started, one of our opponents, and a friend of mine, was playing a guy who had been hovering around.

I did not know if she knew this guy or not.  Let me just begin right now calling him "the Drunk".

He played against her and it seemed like he was flirting with her.  Which is fine - flirt all you want, dude.  But you'll need to get off the table soon so we can start our match.

Sure enough, I have to play my friend first, who was just playing the Drunk.

We play on the same table that they had been hitting balls on, and sure enough, there he was:  lurking, watching, drunk.

After she racked the balls, she had to walk by him because he was using the wall to lean on, and he says, "just don't leave her a shot and you'll do fine."

I am sitting there like, "Really?"

But, I knew he was drunk.

She broke and we went back and forth a little bit because of a lot of clusters.

Every time she got to the table he would lean toward her and say, "just don't leave her a shot."

I normally would get upset at "coaching."  But let's look at a few things:
  1. He was drunk
  2. He repeated the same "advice" and didn't really talk about particular shots
  3. He was drunk
  4. He wasn't a friend of hers
  5. He wasn't doing it deliberately, he just wasn't aware he shouldn't have been
I was glad I didn't get upset, because people like that can be very distracting.  And when she would make a shot, he would spout out, "good shot!"

Towards the end of the game, he tells her again, "just don't leave her a shot."  And she finally turns to him and says smartly, "You aren't suppose to talk to us during our matches during league!"

He stood there holding the wall up, and didn't say anything again.  But he was too drunk to even realize he should have just moved out of the area.  Eventually he left, after that match, but it's amazing how he was kinda distracting for both of us.  But, since we were both aware he was simply drunk, we didn't really let it get to us and tried to play pool with that surrounding.  I've bee around much worse drunks trying to play, so it wasn't too bad.  Just weird.




No comments: