Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Practicing and Drinking

You know the saying, "Can't walk and Chew Gum at the Same Time"  ?

Well, I can't play pool well and drink alcohol at the same time.


I see other people do it all the time, and yet I don't know how they do it!  Lol.

I simply can't play pool well with alcohol.   My fundamentals go out the window and all the training and conditioning I've done over the years magically goes away.  And that upsets me, since I've worked all these years conditioning my pre-shot routine.

Therefore, when I mentioned I practiced the other night at the pool room, which hardly ever happens, I only practiced because I wasn't drinking.

It's one.

Or the other.

Not both.

Even one of my friends there said, "I've never seen you play before."

"Yea, I don't drink and play pool at the same time."

She added, "Seriously; I've never seen you play before."

LMAO.

It's true - at this particular pool room, I don't go there to practice; I go there to watch a gambling match or I go there to drink with friends.

So, when she saw me playing pool, she was surprised.

However, what I felt bad about was, I normally only practice by myself.  So, when others asked that night if they could join me, I told them no.  I actually felt really bad for trying to explain, "I'm getting ready for a tourney and like to practice by myself."  It sounded so selfish and actually hurt my little heart to say no, because NO ONE does this at this pool room.  Everyone jumps on a table with others and hits balls together.

That's just not me.  I don't just hit balls; I am fully engaged when I practice, which I do alone by trying to run racks.

If I play with someone, it's to help each others' game (which I will do occasionally).  I do spar with my boyfriend, but even then, I wont drink during that.  But, I don't just hit balls to socialize.  It's one of the very serious things about myself. 

So, if I'm drinking, you wont see me socializing by hitting balls with others.  It actually brings my game DOWN to do that.  If I can't focus on my fundamentals, there's no point to hit balls.

(click photo to enlarge)

Drinking makes me jump up, miss balls, etc.  I practice like I'm in a match, so why would I want my fundamentals compromised with alcohol?  It defeats the purpose of a dedicated practice session.  I want to WORK on my fundamentals, not hurt them. That's what practice is all about imo.

Now, have I drank during a tournament?  Of course, lol.  I have taken a shot (or more) when I am tired or nervous.  It's not smart to do this a lot, but I don't want to come across like I never drink and play pool.  I drink during weekly tourneys, too.  It depends on how serious the event is, honestly.

My point is, when I practice, it's pointless for ME to drink because I can't work on my game.  Practice is to help us improve.  :)

It's one or the other when I practice.



No comments: