Thursday, July 18, 2013

Better Late Than Never

I wrote before how the BCAPL Texas State TDs saw some trophies in a garbage can a few years ago when they were packing up the tables after the tournament was complete. They decided that maybe the players didn't want trophies after all.

Wrong.

So, they made a decision to only order plaques/trophies if the 1-3rd places asked for one.

Wrong.

Well, this message wasn't passed on to the players. So, for two years, we all just waited for our plaques to magically arrive in the mail after the event.

Wrong.

The players asked about the plaques and we were told the above, and further - we didn't ask for the plaques.  Well, we didn't KNOW we were suppose to ask for plaques.

However, when SO many people complained that they did indeed wanted trophies, the BCAPL Texas State TDs made it right for the players.

Yes!

They got trophies made for all the players and teams who placed 1st-2nd places for the past two years, and they gave them to us back in April at the event!

Yes!

Local ref and now-hero, Steve, helped picking out the beautiful plaques and the players were once again happy showing their metal.

:)

Since our team event requires 4 ladies, but we had 5 on our team that placed 2nd last year, I was allowed to order that fifth plaque at the April event.  As I did this, I decided it wouldn't hurt to ask for one more plaque, for a friend of mine, who won the BCAPL Texas State ladies event, back in 2011.

She never got a trophy and she wasn't even aware what had happened.  She just figured she would never get one; but didn't really know why.

I asked.

I received!

Yes!

So at our women's league individual tournament in late May, I gave a little speech about her title from 2011. I truly felt she deserved recognition for her accomplishment.

I basically said that out of all the female players in Texas, our league had a BCAPL State Champion; out of every player in Texas!

I then shared how she never received a plaque and I thought it was such a HUGE honor and honestly - a life goal that I yearned for - and so I thought it would be awesome she finally got a plaque that she so deserved.

And then I surprised her and presented the plaque to her in front of her colleagues and teammates!

Later I would find out she doesn't like the spotlight, but on FaceBook when she said..... "I won that tourney 2 yrs ago and never rec'd a plaque. A truly amazing women, Melinda Bailey, got it for me. Thanks Melinda, you're awesome!" .... I figured I did good and my surprise, genuine speech worked! :)

Congrats to my teammate, Connie Kovarcik-Svoboda!!

 Connie and her trophy (they made me get in the pic, too, for some reason). 

Connie looks so pleased!  I am so proud of her!  HUGE accomplishment.  :)


No comments: