Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Watcher Affects

I need to get over something.

When I go to new places with pool players I don't know, if I am playing well, I get an inflated ego that affects my play.

Here's how it goes (this just happened the other night):

I'm at a new place.  Lots of new faces.

I win my first match pretty solidly and continue to play well in my second match in front of a lot of people I don't know.  The place is cozy and the lack of seating means spectators have to sit alongside the players at the pool tables.

I play smart shots and make tricky shots while I'm staying down and shooting well.  I get so pumped up at myself, while I can tell people are watching me, that I get over confident and blow a decent chance to run out with only a few balls left! 

In my peripheral vision I can see people checking out the "new girl," whether I want to see them or not.


But it's not just because they are watching, it's me and my inflated ego, proud about how well I am playing.  Yes, I can also hear them make comments.  But... if I am not in full concentration on the ball in front of me and focused on my stroke, then I miss.... and then my ego gets put back in its place. 

While it's good to calm the ego, I instead want to be able to not think about how well (or bad) I am playing in front of people.

I do the same thing in front of good friends.  I'm running out well in straight pool as they watch and while down on a shot I'll be thinking. "damn I'm playing good" and then I'll wonder if they think so, too!  Then... MISS!  lol.

Can't play pool well while your mind isn't on the task at hand!

I try to imagine the pros.  As Tiger Woods is about to putt in front of all those people he doesn't know is he thinking to himself, "man I hit that last shot perfect!"  No.  He is thinking only about the lie of the ball and the stroke of his club (get your mind outta the gutter!).

from reuters.com

Even professional pool players.  As many of you have witnessed, the bystanders are sometimes within arms length of the pool tables, so the crowd is close.  Is a pro thinking about how well they are playing and the crowd is prolly impressed with their game?  Probably not.  Is Allison thinking about how well she just ran the rack while down on the 9ball?  Heck no!  She will tell you herself she is focused on making that 9ball with the best stroke possible with her strong fundamentals to get her to the winners circle.  She doesn't let self-admiration get in the way while she is down on a ball in her stance.

from melindaswindow.com

Maybe I need to stop being so impressed with myself when I play well? 

Yes, I have been playing well.  More than usual, actually.  I AM staying down better because I focus my eyes on the object ball last when I stroke the cueball.  So, I am playing better because my head is still and not lifting up like it used to. 

Maybe I should accept that "hey, face it, you are playing well; stop being surprised!"  Maybe that realization will help me from feeling awe go through my mind and veins while I run out well which interferes with my shot routine.  lol.  I need to stop with the unnecessary thoughts of what kind (or unkind) words people are saying about my game (whether I can hear them talk or not) and concentrate instead on the little round balls on the table.

Easier said than done, huh?  I get excited when I play well! 

Even on Friday, after I ran most of this one rack pretty sporty, I got too elated inside about my good play, and then missed a cut shot that I normally would have made.  As I sit down, the guy invading my space (because he had no choice where to sit) says to me, "I hope I don't have to play you."  Which made no sense at all since the women were in their own tournament separate from the men.

Anyway, I was too embarrassed I missed that stupid shot to be flattered by his words.  Plus, my own flattery is what caused me to miss the shot in the first place!

I think it's awfully ironic that missed shots in front of a crowd of friends or people you just met can have the same effect - your mind thinks about the miss and your body feels embarrassed, which can lead to a dismal performance if we think too much about it.  It's the same concept - I'm not focused on my shot routine and instead thinking while down on shots. Whether the thoughts are positive or negative - the outcome is the same.

But maybe faith in my skills will allow me to get the flutter out of my head while I'm down on a shot.  I have missed way too many easy shots in front of people I think are admired/disappointed about my play.

1 comment:

Johnny said...

I have a similar problem: Seeing the out. Whenever I fight through the first half of a tough rack and have finally gotten into a position where the out should be "routine", I see it and immediately my inner voice says "okay, you should be out from here." - and *inevitably* I miss the first shot from that position. Now, I get scared when I see the out because I've blown it more times than I should have. I need to find a way to counteract that - but saying to myself "oh, I'm totally out from here" on every time at the table doesn't work either. lol