Thursday, February 10, 2011

Recent Big Tourney Decisions

The WPBA is hosting the Regional Tour Championship (RTC) again.  This year at the end of March in Houston, Texas at Bogies Billiards!  This $100-entry fee, $6,000-added tourney will be a little different than most years (not round robin, for example), but basically it's a cream-of-the-crop tourney for aspiring pros.... and the top 8 finishers in Houston will receive a spot on the WPBA Tour this year!

First, 29 WPBA pro players are invited to play in the RTC (those that didn't get a spot in 2011 because the WPBA reduced their tourneys from 64 players to 48 players).  Secondly, the regional women's tours get a certain # of invites, also.  The # of invites for each tour is different because it's calculated using a percentage of paid WPBA members on each tour.  There are 9 tours in good standing and the OB Cues Ladies Tour received 16 invitations.  In comparison, and only for example, the Arizona Women's Tour and West Coast Women's Tour each get 4 invites.

A total of 93 players will be invited.  I am one of those, because I finished the year 9th on the OB Cues Ladies Tour. 

But... I decided to decline the invitation. 

It pains me a little bit to turn down an invite to an event so close to home (this pool room is only about 4 hours away).  Heck, last year if I went I would have had to travel to California!  But, I can't see myself taking two days of vacation and spending travel expenses to attend an event against pros when I haven't even competed in any regional tour events since last September. 

The event is starting Thursday evening because the pool room does not have enough nine foot tables to finish the event in three days or less.  If I could drive down Friday night, I *might* consider throwing my hat into the mix (and stop using excuses why I wont attend, lol). 

My Mom being the hospital (I'm her caretaker) for over 90 days (she just got out Jan 7th) has put a different perspective on everything right now.  I'm not complaining, just saying some things have shifted.  I was away from playing competitively in regional tours and big tourneys since September.  I currently lack the desire to compete right now.  And I have always disliked playing against pros, anyway.  Lol.

As many of you know because I do not wish to compete on the pro tour, I struggled back and forth back in July 2010 on if I should accept the invite to play in the WPBA U.S. Open.  I love pool, but I do not have the time to dedicate to it to become a top player.  I am a realist.  Yes, this RTC tourney would be another great experience, as was the U.S. Open, but I just am not interested at this point in my life to travel down there and spend money to compete for a Tour Card when playing on the Pro Tour is not top priority right now.

HOWEVER....

You mighta heard about the Ultimate 10 Ball Championship that is being held in Dallas.  Hey, I live in the Fort Worth/Dallas metro-plex!  This $150-entry fee, $15,000-guaranteed added for the women's division is being held April 21-24, first round matches on Friday morning (alongside there is a men's division with $35,000 guaranteed added). 

The women's division is being considered a WPBA Satellite Tournament which means each of the top 48 WPBA Pros will get an invite to this event.  Well, I received one of the promoter spots! 

Even though I am passing on the Houston tourney to play with the pros, ironically, I am excited about this tourney!  It's right in my back yard so I only have to take off one day from work, wont have hotel expenses, and wont have to travel far to the event.  I think it will be a great event and a wonderful experience for me. 

I guess it's pretty obvious convenience is key right now for me, huh?  If this event had been held in another state (heck maybe even another big city in Texas), I wouldn't have gone because of the travel time, travel cost, and I would have had to use an extra vacation day. 

My name is already on the list!  :)

No comments: