Wednesday, August 23, 2017

When we Play Badly No One Complains

I have written before about how the Omega Tour is handicapped.  Because of that, that's where a lot of the complaints mostly are directed about.

I just recently wrote about how players who normally play well that are lower-ranked aren't getting cheered for and congratulated for high finishes, instead their ranking is questioned.

This happened again at the last tournament but the player it happened to gave me a really great perspective that I wanted to share.

He would end up placing in the top 3 in the tournament! And as he was moving through the winners side late on Saturday night, one his opponents questioned him.  “How can you be a 6?  You’re playing too good to be a 6.”  

(For reference the handicap ranges from 4 to 10 on the Omega Tour.)

Anyway, so the guy quickly defended himself and said, “Really?  Well, where were you the last three tournaments when I was playing like a 4 and you didn't say I should be lowered? Instead you're only pointing out when I happen to be playing good?”

I thought it was a really great comeback, great defense and a great reasoning.  Just because someone is having a good tournament seems to be the only time people complain. But yet when a player plays badly and under their speed, no one is quick to say, “Hey you should be moved down.”

LOL.

No one comes to our defense when we play bad, only complain when we finally have a good run. Ohhhh, the irony.

No comments: