Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Rejected

Interviewing people for my column in Billiard Buzz, I have a mental list of folks I want to approach to interview.  Since it's been a dream for years, my list is kinda full.

When the people on my potential interviewees list say yes, I get stoked because I know we can all learn from them (like the recent one from almost-unknown cuemaker Jacob Hulsey and later in July read all about Billiards Digest editor Mike Panozzo!).

It's the days I'm talking to someone and a light bulb goes off about why that person would be an interesting choice as well that makes me smile and get excited.  Besides being shocked not realizing sooner of their obvious inclusion on the list of potential folks, I also get excited because I know readers would really enjoy their story.

Just the other day I was talking to a friend and it hits me like a bolt of lightning - this guy would be a great person to interview!!

I called him back a couple of days later to see if he would be interested, but he shot me down.

Dammit.


I told him people would really be surprised by his life story, but he said he didn't really want to do an interview.  I told him I understood why (he has some business legal concerns), but admittedly I was disappointed because his story is VERY unique.

I told him because he is a backer, that part is an interesting perspective for people, too.  He said, "Melinda, I have nothing good to say about pool, so it wouldn't be a good interview."

I exclaimed, "THAT's exactly why it would be a good interview!"

What a perspective/treat it would be for us!

To see his side of why/how people approach him to back him (he has the funds), people ask to borrow money (then he gets ignored by players who owe him money), and yet why he can't trust anyone (how do you know if two players aren't "in" on a scheme to get your money?).

He did add, which I will share, "It's a shame you can't trust anyone when you walk into the pool room."

But, it's also his life story.  How he came from nothing to something.  How he invests in land and businesses and what all that really means (taxes, economy, waiting, etc).  How he's famous in other countries (his photo is printed on shirts and people stand in long lines for his autograph). (really piquing your interest, huh?)

But it is also the negative side of the pool room when it comes to action and backing that makes for a different perspective we may not think of a lot.

Oh well.

Dammit.


No comments: