Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Happiness With Freedom

I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in over a year.  We saw each other at a local monthly tournament.

I asked her how she was and she smiled back and said, "fabulous" with the biggest grin on her face.

I was very curious, "oh, okay, what's been going on?" 

She said, "I quit league last season."

I shared, "Hey, that's what I'm doing! "

She smiled some more, "Yep, drama-free, baby.  I am SO much happier, I can't even explain it.  AND, I get to do whatever I want, whenever I want and don't have to be committed to be somewhere certain nights of the week.  I feel FREE!"

I was so elated to hear these words from her and to see how happy she was is! 

I shared with her how I have been hurt at league and disappointed with some things, and that I LOVED how the last two months I could go to dinner with any of my girlfriends on any night and not HAVE to play league. I even shared I was still bitter I had to play league the week my Dad passed.

It was refreshing to see how much happier she was than I'd seen her in the past, and that the biggest reason was her not playing league anymore.

There's something to be said for non-routine and to be able to play pool when you WANT to, instead of when you HAVE to.


I decided after yearning to play pool (oh the irony) back in late October, that I would continue to play in tournaments I was interested in, but STILL not play in leagues.  Yes, I do miss seeing some of my friends at league, but I am more relaxed without that weekly commitment twice or more a week. 

It's funny the timing of this:  For whatever reason, I am getting asked more and more lately to play in leagues and in league events coming up.

But, I am so much more happier right now, just like my friend experienced this WHOLE last year for her.  I can't wait to have non-league play in 2016 - what a wonderful break this will be! 


No comments: