Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I Know This is Bad Timing

When i played my first match of the day on Monday morning at BCAPL nationals, I found myself in a tough match.

Why could I not be playing any of the other girls around me that kept missing, lol.

I almost got out the first game but I missed a shot I normally make.  Then my opponent COMES WITH IT.  At first she was missing in this first game, but then we she had 3 tough balls left and a tricky 8 ball, she nailed the out.

Oh shit.

I was impressed.  And I knew I had my hands full.

I won the next game though.

She won the next with more good play and excellent safeties.  She played super smart; knew the game well.

But for some reason, I managed to pull ahead 3-2.  She continued to fight;  continued to play impressive safes and great shots, but I was able to win the match somehow.  Still not sure how tho, because she was a great player.

As we were putting our cues away, I said to her, "I know this is really bad timing, but you played really good."

She snapped at me, " No I didn't. "

She was very upset.   Honestly, she should be; She played REALLY good, but the last two games I prevailed somehow.

I tried again, "You played excellent safeties.  You play really smart and good" I pleaded ( yes, pleaded for her to hear me).

"I played terrible," as she quickly left the area upset.

Although she lost, she was my best opponent and most knowledgeable.   I wanted her to know that so badly.

Fast forward about 8 hours and I see her walking by me.  Then all of a sudden she turns around and comes up to me.

"Hey, it really meant a lot what you said this morning.  And I'm glad you prefaced it with 'I know it's bad timing.'  But I was just upset, but I want you to know it meant a lot."

Then I bragged on her some more in front my friends how well she played and her great safeties.  She left with a smile to her next match and won the rest of her matches that day.  I was a huge fan already from our morning match.

April from Canada.

No comments: