Thursday, August 13, 2015

Decisions Decisions

I had league on Tuesday night.  The captain texted me during the day and asked if I could play and I was honest and said I had had a bad previous night and really bad day and could really use the night off.

He said they really needed me because we were playing a good team.

I told him I would be there.

But, I admit I wasn't happy about it.   I hate that I HAVE to go to league sometimes.  That I am committed and can't take the night off when I want to.

SO READY for my leagues to be over with.

Ready to put that cue in the closet and never even touch it again (as you may recall, I'm not going to play leagues or big tourneys anymore).

But, they needed me, so I sucked it up and went.  They asked that night if I was going to play next season and I gave them the bad news, "nope."

Then they called me up to play my first match.

I broke and ran, came back for the high fives and almost every single one of them said, "really, gonna quit?"

As the night went on, I realized I was glad I went.  Better than being home moping in my own little misery of the CRAPPY day I had.  I was having fun at league.  They were making me laugh.  I was having a good time. 

I lost my next two matches, but the next two matches my opponents broke dry each time and I ran out.  Again from my team "you can't quit - look how good you are playing."

We finished the night at 9:15pm!  I love this league how early they finish!

So, now I am torn.  People are telling me not to quit.  I'm still playing well.  But I don't even care about that.

My deepest concern is if I stop this league too (because I'm not going to be playing on Thursday nights after the season in my other league), will I even go out?  What will I do?  Go home and do nothing and never see anyone and never laugh with friends or see my pool friends anymore?  I do plan on doing more outdoor activities.  Maybe also take some classes.  But will I?

I am SO torn right now.

I really DON'T want to play league, but I think it might be good for my soul, if that makes sense.

Others are saying to just take a break.  Man, I don't want a break from playing, I just don't want to play league anymore.  Been there; done that.  And I ONLY played league to qualify for state and national tourneys.  Does this mean the page has turned and I would actually play league because it's fun on Tuesdays and gets me out of the house??

I don't know what to do.

I will still be around pool as I run the Omega Billiards Tour, but I just don't want to play league.  But do I want to be able to see a few friends once a week?  OR is seeing my friends at the Omega stops enough?  Or, if I REALLY want to get out I could go to a local tourney and not be committed to league?

I just really don't know what to do...




1 comment:

Babylon Brother said...

I think I speak for many of your friends and competitors when I say I hope you do not stop playing altogether. There's such a thing as overdoing it, and I believe you have looked over the edge. It would truly be a mistake to sit at home, night after night, watching garbage on TV and eating junk food. As you have noted, you do actually have fun when you simply show up and play for the sheer joy of it. Why not play your favorite league just one night? And to keep your competitive skills honed, play in one of those weekend night tournaments -- when you feel ready. We all would miss you should you enforce your self-imposed exile. And I'm not sure you would have anything fresh to impart via your "Pool Is A Journey" blog. Most of all, stop responding to the pressure of people who say "we need you." Theirs is a selfish motive. Only you can know in your heart what is right, but you could not have been wrong all these years.