Friday, June 12, 2015

Put In The Box


Last week I was out of town for work and my Partner In Crime (PIC) and I went to the local pool room.  The town was very small and so there was only one pool room.

League was just about over and my PIC was able to get a game with one of the league players.  After he won (one set for $200), somehow scotch doubles came up and it was agreed we would do a race to 5 for $200.  But then right before we started, they wanted to raise the bet to $300.

Okay.  We're game.

I was trying to impress my PIC and so I didn't play too well.  What sucked it, coaching was allowed, but I wanted to impress him so instead of asking what I should do, I went for some shots and got him bad shape a few times.  Ooops.

But we still won 5-2. 

After that match, one of the scotch doubles players of the other team came up to my PIC and offered to play me for $160 for a race to 5, again in 9 ball.

I agreed to play and I think I surprised my opponent because I played much much better sparring with him, than when I played scotch doubles.  He didn't know I played decent because it didn't show up in doubles.

I felt pretty good being put in the box and having the faith from my PIC.  He can read players well and even though we didn't know our opponents, he knew it would be a good match up for me.

A few days later I was put in the box again, this time in another state on a nine foot table playing 8 ball. I won the first game for $50 but then lost the next two and was down $50.  My PIC suggested I not play anymore because it was too tough of a game, but it was still cool again to be put in the box. Especially since I hardly ever gamble;  much less gamble strangers.


No comments: