Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Surprise Calcutta

At my Monday night league end of season singles tourney (called the Turkey Shoot), I had heard this was a really big payout tourney, because of the calcutta.

One of my teammates, Lisa, had won it a few times and said she made lots of money.

I had to choose between this singles tourney or another one (for my Thursday night ladies league end of season singles tourney).

In the end, I made the right choice kinda by accident.  I chose the Turkey Shoot because I heard it had a high calcutta.  And even though I don't normally buy half myself, I figured if someone wants to give me jelly so be it.  But it turns out this tourney added $500 to the prize fund!  The other tourney was a $5 entry fee and the house added $5 per player.  So this tourney had much more money in the prize fund.  And since I placed 2nd, I made $175 with only 17 players!!  :)

Okay, back to the calcutta....

My boyfriend was suppose to buy me (because I don't buy myself) but he ended up having to work, so I was on my own at the last minute.

So, imagine my surprise to be in this so-called high calcutta tourney and I wont bid on myself.  LOL.

Lisa said she was going to buy me.  And I heard another teammate say he was going to buy me.

However, I do not buy half myself most of the time.  I don't know why - just don't.  I never have, except for in scotch doubles tourneys, or unless someone tells me I really should lol.  I don't know if it's superstition or what.

So, anyway, they do the ladies calcutta first and the first pick of the liter is bid by my teammate and he picks little 'ole me for $140.

"Not too bad," I'm thinking.  Especially if it's true about how high the calcutta is.  Then most of the girls will go for a lot too.

The next pick goes for like $70.

Then they start to go down the list of the 17 players and they START off at $5!!!!

WHAT?

Omg.... there wont be any money in the calcutta payouts since they starting off the bids at 5 bucks!

Wow....

Only 3 other girls went for around $30, all the rest went for $5 or $10.

OMG.

I went up to Lisa later and told her I went for $140 and she said, "That's it??"  She was talking a friend on the other side of the pool room and missed the whole thing.

I told her, "I thought you said this was a high calcutta..."  And she was just as surprised, "Well, it normally is."

My teammate Jennifer would tell me later that normally the ladies is done AFTER the men's calcutta, and she thinks that is why there's normally more money in it.  Because everyone would be bidding high on the guys and it would continue to roll over into the women's calcutta.

So, then they start the guys calcutta.  Pick of the liter goes for $100.  Second goes for $80.  Then they go down the list and start the guys off at $5 also.  About 6 go for $50 or so, and they only have about 17 players in their side, too.

I don't think anything of all this until Jennifer leans over to me and says softly, "you went for higher than any of the guys!"

OMG....

I did!

WTH.

Are you serious?

Next time they need to do the ladies AFTER the men's.

I really went for the highest out of BOTH liters?  lmao.


(Btw, 2nd place calcutta was only about $240, and I did not buy half myself, but I let Jennifer take my half)


No comments: