Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Happy Birthday

In my previous blog, I alluded to the reason I went 6-0 was because of the team we were playing.  They aren't a top team, and they don't run out consistently, so my team had a lot of chances, I admit. 

In my first game, I was on a break and run!  I was so excited.  But I had a long shot on the 3 and was a worried about shape on the 8 and I missed.  Ugh!  Almost a B and R my first match!

As I sat there, I watched my opponent make ball after ball.  I couldn't believe it.  He was going to get out.... and I had my chance!  I REALLY wanted the win since I did so poorly the previous week so my miss was even more heartbreaking because he was getting out.  :(

He left himself this shot on the 8-ball:


And I knew I was dead meat.

But he missed!  OMG HE MISSED!

I couldn't believe it!

Wow.

Straight in, wow.

But, he left me this tough-ass shot:


I tried with all my might to make that tough cut (and also get shape on the 8 and not scratch), but it was just too far and just too thin to make.  And sure enough, I missed it.  :(

So, he was left with ANOTHER straight-in shot:


AND HE MISSED AGAIN!

Omg... really??

He missed two straight-in 8-balls and I could not believe it.  Well, no one could.  Not even him!

I made my 7 and 8 and won the game.

About a month ago, it was my  birthday ON league day (a Sunday).  After my opponent would miss, my team would tell me they missed because it was my birthday.  They must have said it 10 times that day lol.

So this day, I walk back to my teammates and ask, "Is it my birthday?"

They all laughed as we just couldn't believe those misses.

In my next match, I missed the 8-ball and my opponent has a very make-able shot on the 7 and he misses the shot!

OMG...

I made the 8 easily and won.  I'm 2-0 at this point.

I walk over and I shrug to my teammates as I tell Natalie I won.  The new guy on the team, Steven, says, maybe we should sing "Happy Birthday when someone gets lucky like that.

Everyone laughed, "Right?"

A few games later Steven has a great run but misses his 8 ball.  But then his opponent scratches with only two balls left!

"Happy Birthday," I thought in my mind.

Then we are watching the 5th to the last game and one of our top shooters misses the 8-ball.  Yikes.  It was tough, but make-able.  But then.... wait for it.....it rolled right between his opponents' last ball... and he had no shot at his last ball because the 8 is now in the way!

Steven turns to us and sings softly, "Happy Birthday to you..."

LOL.



No comments: