Wednesday, October 16, 2013

New Teammate

On one of my Monday night leagues, they increased the # of players playing from 5 to 6 each Monday. 

On Sunday afternoons, there are several leagues with 6 players at a time but on a Monday night, it makes for a much longer night than when we use to only players 5 players.  For us day workers, that can be tough.

Anyway, on this TEAM, the Sofa Kings, we have a team rule that if you break and run, each player gives you 50 cents.  If you rack and run, each player gives you 25 cents.  If you get a perfect score, you get a dollar from every teammate.

We had 9 players on the roster, but you can have up to 10.  5 teammates play all the time, one isn't going to play that much right now, I have another league I play on on Mondays, another teammate hasn't been dependable lately, and another teammate has more family things to do on Mondays.  So, since we need 6 players each Monday and we can have 10 players on the roster, I suggested to my Captain that we really need another player to play with us.

However, almost every good player (sorry, I only want a good player on the team, lol) is already taken on Mondays.  In other words, all the good players are already on this league on Mondays.

But I told my captain I would think about it and see if I come up with someone, while he thought of someone, also.

I remembered shortly after that convo that someone had just placed real high in the Omega Tour the previous weekend and he just moved from out of state a few months ago.  He loves pool and plays as much as he can, AND he plays real sporty.

Couldn't hurt to ask, right?

He said yes!  After answering a few questions, sharing we are one of the top teams, undefeated team at ACS State (men's division), he strongly considered it and then said yes!

So, no one on my team knows this guy nor have met him.  One player heard how well he did in the Omega and said, "Sounds like he plays good.  He'd be a good fit."

I show up his first night, this past Monday, because I am the only person he knows, even though I've only met him once myself.  But I didn't want him to walk in without knowing ANYONE.

I introduced him to everyone and then he practiced a little bit, along with everyone else.

I forgot to tell him about getting paid from other teammates for perfect runs.

He breaks and runs the very first game of the match!  Then he gets 50 cents from each teammate.  He was like, "I like this."

Then he racks and runs!

There goes 25 cents from each of us into his hand, lol.

Luckily he lost one game, or else he would have made $5 more dollars that night for a perfect score.  Yep, his first night he goes 5-1, and no one else on the team did that night,  But, we won the match squarely.  :)

Everyone was very nice and we all got along just fine.  And he plays good! 

He's gonna be a good fit.   :)

Do I know how to pick em or what?

(eh, I just got lucky).

Welcome to the team N.C.!!




 

No comments: