Thursday, October 24, 2013

Dibs

I don't know if others are like this, but thought I'd share my thoughts on travel mates and dibs.

When I travel to tournaments with others, whoever is doing best in the tournament at the end of the first day gets dips for Saturday night decisions.

I normally am very choosey where I go eat, but if they are still in the tourney and I am not, then they get dibs on where to eat.

They also get dibs on if we stay out late or not, or go somewhere other than straight to the hotel room.  They get dibs on if the tv can be left on or not, who gets what bed, who gets to sleep alone (if there are 3 people in the room for example).  You may think these are little things, but imo they are BIG things that can help them do well in the tourney the next day.

I think it's very important to get a good nights rest and have a GREAT night, esp the night before the final day of a tournament.  I want my roommie to have the best chance at doing well, so I want to make sure she has a good night so she feels great for the next day.


I have been with travel mates who are not doing as well as I am going into Sunday and there is nothing worse than being upset the night before the Sunday matches.  They may want to stay out late, or go to another bar, or whatever.

The point is, I want a nice, peaceful, restful night before my Sunday matches.  I don't want roommates coming in late, waking me up, OR keeping me out late if I am dependent on riding with them (for example).  I need sleep and I need to be in a good frame of mind.  If I am upset the night before at my travel mates, that's not a very good mindset to play good pool for the next day.  Makes for unnecessary distraction.  When... I should be focusing on pool.

I have been in this situation a lot in the past, so I am very cognizant of ensuring my travel mates get dibs if they are doing better than I!

If I happen to be doing better, then I will speak up and say nicely I need to get rest or need to get to the room sooner than everyone else.  In these situations, we MUST think of ourselves.  We are there to compete.  We must be prepared.

So, think of your travel mates, too!  Help them be in the best frame of mind to compete.  Be their little corner man!

DIBS!

No comments: