Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Smoke Breaks and E-Cigs

On one of the tours I play on, during the players meeting the Tournament Director mentioned as a reminder (and for the new players) that this is a non-smoking tour.  This means that during your matches, you cannot smoke. 

Each person can take one (1) break per match.  So, a smoke break or bathroom break, whatever.

So obviously, that means up to two breaks per match, if the players each take a break.

A new player asked, "What about E-cigarettes?"

Wow, great question!


My first thought was, "um, no."  Because they would still be "smoking."  Even tho the rule is in effect due to smoke being unhealthy/bothering the non-smokers, E-cigs release vapor, not smoke, but I still didn't think it was fair.

I didn't speak up because I was still mulling it over in my head, and no one else objected.... until.... at the last minute another player realized what was being discussed and then she became vocal about not allowing E-cigs, as well.

Then a smoker spoke up and said she agreed, also.  "Hey, it's not fair I can't smoke and they get their nicotine fix!"

Good point, too.

I have heard smoking calms players, so I didn't think it was fair if players smoked E-cigs either.

Very good question, tho!


1 comment:

Johnny said...

I'm a smoker, but I carry an e-cig with me almost everywhere. Especially to the pool room. I don't want to have to leave the pool room if I want a drag or two. I should note I prefer pool rooms that don't allow smoking - it's just better for everything, equipment and people.

However, if a player chooses to bring an e-cig they should be allowed to use it. If other smokers feel that's not fair, they can just as easily get one of their own.

Lets compare e-cigs to beers. Not everyone drinks a beer while playing, but some do. It's an accepted and agreed upon substance. Now lets say I don't drink beer when I play, even though I really enjoy beer away from the table. For discussion, let's say you do enjoy a beer while playing. Now the tournament comes up and I complain that you're allowed to drink a beer. I could just as easily go buy a beer, but it's my choice not to.

I guess it comes down to: Should rules be made based on the options people pass up? My answer would be No.