Monday, August 12, 2013

Proper Salutations

During one of our team matches in Vegas, I told my opponent, like I have a thousand times, "Good Shooting" as we shook hands before she broke.

One of my teammates tells me, "You don't says 'Good Shooting'."

I was like, huh?  I have always said that.  What's wrong with that?!  What does she mean?  What's going on?  Did I offend someone?

What is wrong with the nice salutation of "Good Shooting" ??

Then she replied, "You are suppose to say 'Shoot Well'."

I was like, huh?

Oh.

Hmmm...


So, when I come back from Vegas, I look up the Grammar Girl, (yes, there is a Grammar Girl) and sure enough the most correct grammatically way to say "Good Shooting" is actually "Shoot Well."

Here is an excerpt from the post about using GOOD versus WELL from Grammar Girl:

Finally, it's very important to remember that it's wrong to use "good" as an adverb after an action verb. For example, it's wrong to say, “He swam good.” Cringe! The proper sentence is "He swam well," because "swam" is an action verb and it needs an adverb to describe it. Remember, you can only use adjectives such as "good" and "bad" after linking verbs, you can't use them after action verbs.

I still didn't say it properly the rest of the team event nor in my tourney last weekend; because bad habits are very hard to break.  And I've been saying this for over 25 years now.

But, I know now I'm not using proper grammar. 

Ooops.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

The appearance of grammar nazis always reminds me of a Winston Churchill quote:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which we will not put."