Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Move That Chalk

I have always found it fascinating when someone is looking at a shot, and before they even get down on the ball, they walk over to the other end of the table and move a piece of chalk that is on the rail near the ball they are about to shoot.

This has amazed me for years.

Seriously.

I have never, ever moved a chalk away from a ball I was about to shoot.  Never.

Yet I see SO many other people do it before they take their shot.

In Vegas, I was practicing a shot with someone and they told me, "move that chalk first."

What?

Why?

"Because it's a distraction."

It is?

To you maybe, not to me.


So, I got curious and asked another friend about it to get further clarification.  She said, "Yes, I move chalk too.  I just want to concentrate on the shot.. don't want anything "unnecessary" in my line of sight."

I find this so fascinating that I never do this.  I might nudge a coin further under a rail if it's too far out, but I haven't moved chalk from one rail to another.

I wonder why some people do this and others don't?  I'm wondering why it doesn't bother me, is really my question.  I just don't even notice chalk on the rail when I shoot.

I think maybe part of it is habit for some people and that is cool; I'm all about habits.

Still, interesting to me!

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I, like your friend, feel this is a distraction. I get distracted very easily and it makes it harder on days that I'm having a hard time focusing on one thing. All in all, for me, it takes the distraction from the line of shot and gives me a little more time to think about the shot; specially if I'm still unsure about it.