Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Don't Miss Again

I spoke about a mantra before, and how helpful it can be for focusing.

Here is another little thing that has cropped up for me.  It's not really a mantra, but it is a tip to help your confidence.

There have been a few times during matches where my opponent and I miss back and forth.  Usually on the same ball; usually from nerves.  When I see this unfolding in front of me, if I remain nervous, I cannot capitalize on their mistakes nor shake the nerves, so I miss again.  :(

But.........

Sometimes I get confident. 

Sometimes a switch goes off in my head and I tell myself, "If they miss again, that's it!" 

Basically, I'm going to finally punish them for missing the ball again.  Further, I'm tired of missing it from nerves!

I don't do it intentionally to ward off my nerves, this is just something that occasionally happens to me:  I simply finally decide to bear down and not let my nerves get the best of me.

I think I can recall every match this has ever happened.

I don't use this as a routine technique or tip, but thought I'd share it in case any of you have been through similar situations, or find yourself in similar situations.  And also to share in case I see an opportunity for me for this in the near future.  I love reminders!  :)

Good luck!


No comments: