Sunday, October 10, 2010

Burn Out Remedies

I am reading this month's Prevention magazine and on page 16 it talks about The Scariest Type of Stress: Burn Out ("the wicked step sister to stress").

"Feeling underappreciated is one trigger of burnout."

While I didn't know that, as soon as I read that sentence I completely resonated with it. I think one of many reasons I retired from the OB Cues Ladies Tour board was because of that. No one may want to hear that, but just as in most relationships, eventually I was taken for granted and I started to feel unappreciated. So, to read that part of my burn out from helping the tour for 9 years could be related to unappreciation was an eye opener and honestly, sad to me.

Then I started to think about pool. You know how sometimes you feel burned out from playing pool? Or, if you haven't, you for sure have heard someone say, "I'm burned out on pool."

Well, this article offers some advice - can we relate the suggestions to pool?
  • Give yourself some downtime
  • Exercise when you feel stressed
  • Help/coach others
  • Challenge yourself - go outside your comfort zone or expand your skills.
In relation to pool:
  • Give yourself some downtime away from pool. It's ok to take a break from league or practicing.
  • Take a walk outside if you can if you've just had a stressful match or endured a stressful situation.
  • Your friends may need mental advice or shot selection help - help them/ coach them and feel the endorphins of the act of helping.
  • Challenge yourself - try a new game or read a new pool instruction book.
And remember, when someone has a good match, wins a tourney, plays well, or volunteers their time for the love of the game, give them kudos!! This little act of kindness may help them from burn out.

Until Next Time...

1 comment:

R Riley said...

love it.. especially since I am in the burnout...