Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It's Been Tough but Thank You

When I announced last month I needed to step down from the OB Cues Ladies Tour, I never imagined how hard it really would be for me. Turns out it gets tougher, not easier. To be a part of something you care about for so long and then that ends, it is truly difficult. I sometimes wonder how it will be at the first stop I attend as not a Board Member. I bet it will be super weird not to be helping the players.

I am still doing the website a little and few other little things, but the Board is moving forward to get things done, which, as I have said over and over, the tour is for the players! It's such a GREAT tour!

However, as tough as it is for me personally, I have had a few very moving words of thanks sent my way that I would like to share that have helped me.

The write-up of the July OB Cues Ladies Tour stop
(that I could not attend) stated:
"The OB Cues Ladies Tour Board experienced some changes over this weekend as well. After 9 years of service to the tour, Melinda Bailey stepped down from her position on the board. She will be missed for all of her contributions, but the players and her fellow board members have appreciated the time she has committed to the tour over the years. We wish her good luck in all of her future pool endeavors and look forward to seeing her regularly as a player in the events."
It really meant a lot to me that they wrote such sweet words in the article.


Fellow Blogger Pool News and Reviews wrote a very touching blog about my departure.
Here is a snip-it (read the whole blog here):
"It looks like the OB Cues Tour is losing one of their most valuable board members, as Melinda Bailey has decided to step down in order to spend more time with her ailing mother.

As a member of the board, Melinda’s primary goal was “to provide an atmosphere where women could achieve their pool dreams”. For my money, she achieved this goal in spades. In the past few years, the OB Cues Tour has become one of the most important and recognized regional tours in the industry, producing a number of up and coming players and WPBA tour regulars (not to mention all the Texas pool hotties!). It is one of the few women’s tours that has embraced new technologies like live streaming of their events and keeps an open communication channel and much of the success can be directly attributed to the work Melinda has done for the tour."

WOW! I'm still shocked at his words.


My friend and fellow pool competitor (and blogger) Samm Diep commented about my departure and said:
"What you have done for the Hunter / OB Cues Tour has not gone unnoticed. Thank you for all the heart and soul that you have put into "our" tour and helping to make it the longest running, most successful, most fun (for sure), and my personal favorite ladies regional tour today.

You will be remembered for all your hard work and efforts. I stand by you and your decision.
"
Thank you so much, Samm. Your words mean a lot!

I don't know if I can attend the next stop because my Mom is still in the hospital, but I look forward to seeing my friends at the next tournament when I can. I need some hugs - been a tough month and hope my Mom can come home soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Melinda,

You are deeply appreciated by those that know you - me included!!

Phil

Melinda said...

Thank you so much, Phil! You're the greatest! :)