Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fast Eddies Tour August 2009

With my Mom still in the hospital (going on week three), I debated on whether to go outta town or not but her and I both agreed that I should take advantage of her doing better and still in the hospital being monitored. I did need the break but felt bad for leaving. It was a very uneasy feeling but as a few friends keep telling me, I need to make sure I take care of myself in order to be there for my Mom.

I spoke to the nurse on duty at length before deciding and then felt comfortable enough to go, even though it wasn't easy.

As I drove to College Station, the moon was helping my drive - the moon always reminds me of my Dad and I knew he was watching over me.

I signed up the night before via text with my friend Yvette and showed up in the parking lot about 11am Sunday morning. While talking to my Mom on the phone, the TD called (Lewis) and said my match had been called. Eeek! So, I walked into the Fast Eddie's pool room that had many memories for me (including the photo above on my blog - it's from that pool room), and walked to my table assignment. The other matches had already started and my opponent, Michelle Ram was hitting balls. She asked if I wanted to hit balls and I replied, "you have been waiting on me so let's just start." I don't routinely hit balls anyway the morning of a tourney (I know, blasphemy!).

I make a good run the first game and win. The next game I run down to the 9 and am thinking "Wow, I'm playing good!" then dog the 9ball. It was a pretty simple shot and it was so simple, Michelle moved off her seat to rack in anticipation. The next game I miss a 7 and an 8 in the next game. So, instead of being up 4-0, I am down 1-3. I tell myself to not think about the past games/misses and remember to "play smart" as one of my friends told me. I then start to stay down and follow through better and bear down on the shots and I get ahead 5-3. I eventually win 7-5 or 7-4.

I then played Yvette Reyes next. Her game has really, really improved and she would get out when normally in the past she wouldn't. It was so great to see, even if it was in my own match, lol! I missed a few shots late in the rack that I had opportunities, that she took advantage of... and I lost 7-5 even though I hung in there. But, she played better than I did and deserved the match. I was very happy for the way she was playing!

I then played Charlie "HillBilly" Bryant's wife and friend of mine, Heather. She is a doll and super nice, friendly. I was not into the game at first and then finally told myself to "get with it" and finally started to play my game and I won 5-2.

I then played Kim Pierce who is always a contender. It was tied 1-1 and I tried to draw back into the 9ball but instead missed the draw, but the 1ball banked the 9ball in by accident. She wasn't happy but I didn't react. I then ran out nicely two more times and got on 4 games in a race to 5 (so, the score is now 4-2). I was feeling real good and playing well and quite pleased with myself. Then I scratched on a touchy 6 ball and she got out. I then missed a shot late in the rack the next game - trying to get shape - and she got out. Next thing you know it's 4-4 when I thought I was going to win. Of course, I'm not suppose to be thinking of results during a match, but I was. :(

On the last game in the race to 5, hill-hill, I either played safe or missed the 4 ball. She made it and the 5ball, but hooked herself and couldn't see the 6ball. She kicked at it and hit it, then it hit the side-pocket tit and rolled down into the corner pocket. She hooped and hollered and yelled "I'll take it!." She then had a really tough shot on the 7 ball. I thought she was going to bank it, but she cut it in after many strokes and I was shocked! It was a really tough shot and she made it beautifully. The cue ball then fired down and up the table for good position on the 8 ball which then led to her getting perfect position on the 9ball. A fist pump before making the straight in the 9ball, she made it, and then we shook hands.

This meant I placed 7th. While that might sound like a decent place - there were only 15 players in the tourney, lol. :( I was surprised I played halfway decent, tho! Because I ended up losing that match, I was happily able to drive back to the hospital to Fort Worth in time to visit with my Mom for an hour before visiting hours ended, so the loss wasn't all that bad.

Tourney description: Surprised and happy I played well.

Until next time...

No comments: