Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Get Your Own Score

(Since we can't hear tone reading words, I need to point out I am being sarcastic in the way the title reads).  :)

I've written many times how when I'm in a match I don't look around the room to see who is in the crowd.  Well, the same thing happens when I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a match. I don't take long breaks; I take care of emptying my bladder and then head straight back to the table.

And as I am walking briskly to the bathroom and back, I never look at anyone. I look down or look at my destination. I never look into anyone's eyes. I never even acknowledge anyone around me as I walk by.

Why?

Because I don't want to give anyone the opportunity to ask me what the score is.

Why?

Can be a distraction.

I was watching the Omega Tour matches on Sunday and one of the players was in a really close, tough match and it was his highest finish yet on his Omega Tour journey.

One of his female friends was watching who isn't really around pool too much. He had just missed a shot and he was down in the match 5-3 I think and then he took a quick bathroom break. And before he even walked past her, I thought to myself, "omg, please don't ask him the score."

The thing is you really just shouldn't ask anyone what the score is. It can throw them off - whether they are winning or losing. They need to go to the bathroom or go smoke their cigarette and then they need to get back to the table. They now do not need to be thinking about who is watching, confessing that they're losing, or even "celebrating" that they are winning by providing you information. All of these things can be distractions just because you are being selfish and wanting to know their score (I kid, I kid!).

If you see me walking briskly to the bathroom please do not stop me to ask the score.

And I beg you, when you see your friends walking to the bathroom during matches, please do not ask them for an update. Let them focus. Let them get back to the table and get to business. Don't distract them. If you want to know the score, ask a friend or check out where the coins are.

Thank you in advance from all of us :)

(and yes, she interrupted his focus to ask him the score)




No comments: