Sunday, November 3, 2013

People Surprise Me

I have seen a lot of creepy things in the pool world, but also a lot of great things as well.

The other day someone really, really surprised me.

A few times I backed my ex in some gambling matches, because he hadn't gotten paid yet but would have cash by the following Monday when his check came in.

However, a lot of people assumed I was forking over the money myself all the time.  I didn't appreciate this very much because people were making assumptions, and I don't think it looked good on either of us that people thought that.

But imagine my surprise the other day when I told someone we had broken up.  The guy got quiet and then told me a little story.

He said, "You know.  I could tell it was your money."

And I said, "well, not really - just until he got his paycheck."

"But still, it was your money.  Do you recall I stopped gambling with him?"

I recalled, yes.

He explained, "that's why I stopped.  Because I thought it was your money."

I was VERY taken aback about this for several reasons.

One.  Of all the guys we gambled with over the years, everyone kept coming back for more and didn't give TWO SHITS it was my money (even though it wasn't).

But here is this guy, making a decision to not to try to win money because he thought it was my money.

Was it because I was a girl?  The girlfriend?  I dunno exactly why.

But he showed me right there he has a heart.  And I will always look at him differently for telling me that, but more so, for not gambling with my ex anymore.

It makes me a little miffed that no one else stopped, but if I put things into perspective:  gambling is about trying to make money.  That's what everyone tries to do, NO MATTER who was backing or paying it off.  So, I can't be mad about that.  But, I CAN be appreciative of our friend stepping away and no longer gambling with us because it didn't feel right to him.


1 comment:

TimKrazyMon said...

very classy move by that guy. rare to find a pool player who gambles and who cares who's $$ it is.