Thursday, April 19, 2012

Handicapped Tourneys

I played in a handicapped scotch doubles tourney a couple of times and some people questioned the handicapped system.

I talked to the TD about it because of the concerns I had heard, and the discussion we had was very enlightening.  While the decision to change or not seems now very obvious (lol), at the time it was not, so I wanted to share.  :)

The handicapping is done like this:

  • Must be guy/girl
  • Only one Grand Master, Master or Advanced Player per team
  • Grand Master or Master Team Race to 5
  • Advanced Player team Race to 4
  • Open team Race to 3

The second time we played in the tourney, my boyfriend and I were told we should not be racing to 3 when one of our opponents had to go to 5.  I was told, "That's not a fair match-up."

I don't make the rules, but because the TDs use the BCAPL for the rankings, I was an Open player and so was my boyfriend.  We race to 3.  We were playing against a team who's female was a Master and the male was an Open player, so they had to race to 5.  The female was stronger than the male, but as a team, my b/f and I were stronger.

We won 3-0. 

I asked the TD before their next scotch doubles event if they were going to change the handicapping because of instances like that.  We had a fairly long exchange about it and I loved the dialogue.

He said that there were only a handful of Master teams. Out of 32 teams that weekend, only 4 were Masters.  He explained, "Why piss off 28 teams to satisfy 4?"

"Good point," I agreed, and hadn't thought of that.

Further, he stated that the Master players could find a stronger partner who are Open players, and then that would solve some of the issues of the "Master Teams" not placing high.  Most of the Master teams were partnered with good friends or significant others who aren't really Master-material, and they did that to help their friend or significant other out. 

The TD explained that if he DID change the handicap, and then the Master's played with a stronger player, then he would receive even MORE complaints.  He suggested that the Master players should simply find better playing partners.  We all know at least two dozen male players who are not ranked as Masters, but should be, right?


Sure enough, the next tourney, one of the female Masters paired up with a strong player who is listed as an Open player (but could easily be a Master) and they were a solid team!   They won the tourney with great play, and the scores were close against the Open Teams.  It seemed to prove the entire discussion I had had with the TD the weekend before.

This discussion was really an eyeopener for me.  The TD made a very good point about keeping the majority happy, and at the same time, the Master teams could still play and place high. :)  Win-win for everyone!  (including less complaints to the TD, lol.)

No comments: