Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Straight Pool Feb Stats

You'd think after being in Reno for a week I'd want to write about that right away, but I have SO much to share!  Plus, I played a straight match right before I left and then played two the day after I returned.  I'm antsy to share what happened in those 3 matches.

Feb Match 1

The Friday before I went to Reno, I played an opponent who has improved drastically the last two seasons in straight pool.  So, I knew this night would be a tough fight for me.

He asked if I wanted to hit balls, and as usual I said no.  I play at this pool room 2-3 times a week, so already feel I know the tables.  But, his reaction was like most: surprised.

Long story short, he couldn't catch a gear.  He joked early on, "I need a new cue.  This one is broken."

But then he got more and more frustrated, "I even practiced before hand."

Long story short, I won 100-34.  His lowest score yet.  I felt SO badly for him.  He just didn't have a good night.  My high run was only 9 three times, so it wasn't like it was ME; it was unfortunately him having a bad night.  :(

Feb Match 2

The day after I returned from Reno was a holiday for me (President's Day) so I scheduled two straight pool matches.  I needed to catch up because I had been out of town for work for 4 days and then for a week at the U.S. Bar Table Championships in Reno.

Because I had played on Diamond bar tables for a week straight, I definitely hit balls on the table before this match!

I won this first Monday match 100-49.  After the win, the guy said I had a very nice stroke.  Normally when people lose, they aren't full of compliments, lol.  I played pretty good tho (I thought).  :)

Feb Match 3

My next match started at 5pm.  We didn't finish until 830, but it felt like a 4-5 hour match, lol.  It seemed to take forever because we had many many innings with safeties.  Further, we had a LOT of distractions.

I really enjoyed this tough match.  Last time he annoyed me; this time I could tell the straight pool videos continue to help me, and more so - the experiences from the competition in Reno helped me be mentally strong in this match.  I never got upset at him or if I missed, and I played really, really well.

However, many people got in my way to shoot, were oblivious to the match, moved chairs or tables while down on shots, even talked to me during shots.  I tried not to let things get to me, and just simply waited for them to move (or stop moving).

At one point, this guy was in my way over and over again, not even aware of people around him.  I finally said, "excuse me" as I prepared for a really tough, long, key ball shot before the break out shot.  He said, "sorry, let me move out of the way."

He moves to my RIGHT, and is now in my peripheral vision.  He is now standing in front of OUR table, not HIS table.

I was like, "okay..."  I'm eyeing the shot and his friend tells me, "He doesn't normally play pool, so he doesn't know."

I reply. "Really?  And yet you are now talking to me while I'm trying to shoot?"

Yea, bit perturbed I was.

I nail the shot, and even my opponent says, "nice shot" knowing it was tough AND with the distractions it made it tougher.

I'm playing really well, I promise, but at 58-58 I intentional foul back at his foul, not realizing I was already on one foul.  I then tried a tricky safe and SCRATCHED!

Omg..... 16 point penalty.  Score now 42-58 him.  ;(  I never fully recovered after that... even though I tried.  I never got emotional or upset, just played pool and fought back.  But his safes were much better than mine and he won 68-100. 

He told me after that I had really great fundamentals and a really good stroke.  He asked if I ever thought about my elbow and I said no.  He said it was perfect, and that was something he was working on.  He said I played great and made many very tough, long shots and stayed down well when I shot them.  It felt great to hear about my fundamentals because I have been working on them.  But I also know I played well and had a lot of confidence because of the week-long competition in Reno just last week!  I can feel the difference in my mind, body, and soul.  :)

It was already a great match, but I think if I didn't get that 3-foul 16-point penalty. I might have had a shot at actually defeating this tough player!

No comments: