Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Straight Lesson Learned

I guess I took all those negative emotions that I experienced the 4 days before and used the crappy match as a learning experience for the next.

That Monday straight pool match was full of unnecessary pressure, frustration, negative thoughts, and no fun - just an unpleasant match full of tough emotions that I thought I had tamed from all my years of experience.

I guess I "listened" to the match, though.  By Friday, I was involved in another straight pool match.  Would I keep going downhill and falter, or would I rebound nicely?

To my surprise, the pressure was full force, but I never FELT the pressure.  Does that make sense?  I enjoyed the match, even though it was close and I was suppose to win.  I am not sure why this night was different - it could have easily turned into the same crappy time at the table because we were neck and neck, when in reality I'm suppose to win, just like Monday's match.

I started off with a 13 ball run.  He returned with an 11 ball run.  Wait a minute?  Is this the same guy I usually beat pretty easily 100-50 or so?  I guess he's improved!

After a few innings, I'm at 25 and he makes a 14 ball run.  Score 29-25. 

This keeps happening.  I go on a little run, so does he.  But, I never let my emotions get out of control, like I let happen just the Monday before.  I didn't let the pressure get to me, I simply tried to focus on the balls in front of me and accept the fact he has improved and I might lose.  I also tried to enjoy the match - that sure didn't happen Monday.  I was way too frustrated.

It's 37-40
51-54
61-64

I finally get a comfortable lead at 80-64 then it's 89-72, 91-80, and I win 100-81.  I admit I started to lose focus when I get on 80, but I finally won.  Whew.

What a difference 4 days can make!

Really wish I knew why this night was different.... but glad it wasn't a repeat of spiraling out of control!

No comments: