Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fourth Straight Pool Match

My 4th opponent of the Spring 2011 Straight Pool Season was against the top player from the last three seasons.

We were to play on Monday and I was super tired from lack of sleep but I received a saving grace when he called about 5pm and wanted to reschedule due to work.  Whew!  So, we planned for Wednesday.

He calls about 6:15 (our match is schedule for 6:30) and says he is running late.  That gives me time to order grilled chicken from the kitchen along with some carrots for a small, light dinner before he gets there.

We start about 7:15 and there are a few fellow league members milling around to watch our match.  They check the score, ask how we are doing, check the score again, watch some shots.  Some even pull up a chair right behind us to watch.

I was nervous about the match.  He is the top player for a reason - tough to beat because he plays well and smart. How would I do?  How would I play?

I swear I was sweating.  Yet, it was just another match, right?  lol.  But I was so nervous and anxious.

I tried not to think about the people watching.  Tried not to hear their comments:

"what's the score?"
"she's beating him?"
"she should have shot the 13 ball first"
"how are they doing?
"wow it's close"

I tried to instead take in deep breaths.  During the match, when I recognized how nervous I was, I would hold my breath for a few seconds, then let the air out slowly, so I could try and calm/slow down my adrenaline. 

I also tried to emulate and specifically recall how great I felt during my shots during my match the Friday before.  Tried to remember those confident, secure, positive feelings I had that night.  Emulating is a beautiful thing!

I scratched on the break.  Oops.  -2.  He fouled 4 times by inning 15 because he accidentally moved a ball while stroking for his shot.  I never saw any of the times he touched another ball (this is an all-fouls straight pool league) but he told me each time which was super cool of him.  

Me-Him
-2-2
20-11

Don't think ahead, Melinda

Me-Him
30-24
39-35

Anything can happen - He's getting closer.  Breathe.

Me-Him
54-35

Thank you 15 ball run.

Me-Him
56-41
60-51

I only need 40 points, don't think about how close he is.  Stop being nervous, dang it!

Me-Him
76-57

At this point, I had just gone on a 10 ball run when I debated over two shots and yet still went for the one that *could* lead to a scratch and sure enough it did.  I debated for so long, didn't listen to my intuition, and I was so mad that I slammed my cue butt on the ground and broke off some more of my cue.  Ugh.

I was also embarrassed I showed so much emotion.

But he was either rattled or something and missed a fairly easy shot that he had to slow roll again so I was back at the table right away.

Me-Him
79-63
80-66

Now at this point, I went for a "typical" break out shot, but it was a risky shot at the time because the score was super close and if I would have missed, he would have a wide open table on his verge to 100.  But, I went for it anyway.  And I made it!  But... I scratched.

I *almost* slammed the butt of my cue again, but contained my emotion.  Instead, when i got back to my chair I turned around quickly to vent my frustrations out loud to a friend, "can you believe that cueball went in like that?!"

Me-Him
84-73

Breathe.

Me-Him
84-79
85-84
84-88

I was ahead most of the match.  Every time I recognized I was ahead, I convinced myself to not relax, that he can catch up and pass me any minute.

Stay focused!

He missed a few crucial long, soft shots because the right side of the table rolled off a lot on him. 

At this point he finally got ahead.  Instead of thinking about that, though and being more nervous, I told myself to capitalize on his mistakes. Which I did. When I tell myself that, sometimes it triggers a whole new mindset for me.

Me-Him
90-90
92-90
100-90 

I had a pretty tough 8 ball out - knowing if I miss he could win the match - but also because it wasn't an easy run.  There were several tough shots I had to make to keep the run going.  At one point I even counted how many balls were left when I had to make a tough choice on shots - to see if he would need a new rack yet or not (something I learned from a previous match to pay attention to).

I was elated! I won!  OMG.  I still can't believe it!

I shared with one of the new league mates after the win, "I can't believe I beat the top player."  It dawned on me later the guy probably thought he (himself) was the top player not the guy I just played, lol, and I just crushed his ego (or gave him fire in his belly).

I kept it together somehow.  Even though he didn't play as good as he can, I still didn't completely give the match away like I was afraid would happen.

Whew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story! Congrats on your win!