Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2009 Goals

Well.... I needed to do it sometime - decide on my goals for the year. As you may or may not recall from last year, I wrote my goals pretty early in the year. By the end of the year, I felt I had successfully reached the goals I chose.


I have been contemplating what my goal should be for this year. I think I finally decided on it. While it's not "tangible," it is a goal I truly want to master.

My overarching pool goal for 2009: Stay down.

It may seem silly. May seem unconventional; BUT, it's something I really need to continue to work on, to become a better player.

Stay down, follow through, keep my head down, DON'T MOVE. All of these are related to my pre-shot routine and I could word my pool goal to reflect my pre-shot routine but I feel my pre-shot routine is okay overall, but it's the FINISH of the pre-shot routine that needs work.


Goals are important because they give you that something extra to strive for, to look forward to, to plan for, etc.

The key aspect for goals is to ensure you are specific about how to reach your goals.

Here are the specifics for this overarching goal:
  • Keep practicing alone at least once a week.
  • Practice extenuating my SPF (Set, Pause, Finish) when I practice.
  • Try to ingrain that when I am nervous or on a tough shot, that staying down is the MOST important thing for me to be successful.
  • Read more about staying down.
  • Watch videos about SPF.
  • Continue to watch Buddy Hall - he stays down well!
  • Practice NOT MOVING.
  • Continue to be open to tips and receiving help about staying down (and/or the pre shot routine).
Wish me luck!!!!

2 comments:

GlennH said...

Good luck practicing your SPF. I have team mates tell me all the time that, after pausing, my final stroke is a lot harder than my practice strokes.

Good luck, and please keep us posted as to what seems to work best for you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Melinda - stay down, sweetheart! Kisses!Tina Pawloski