Saturday, October 17, 2015

PitBull Pool Agrees Competing is Important

I was shocked the other day when I received an email from PitBull Pool asking me to review an article entitled, "The Essential Guide to Pocket Billiards."

Me?  You want little ole' me to review it?

I figured there wasn't much I could add, but then I noticed while the article talked about body mechanics, fundamentals, different shots, a glossary, and types of games, it had a full section on practicing, but what about competition??

As you all know from reading my blog, I feel competing is one of the major ways to improve because you learn something (physical or mental) every single time you compete that you can't possibly get from just practice.

So, I wrote them back and shared that's the only thing I would add, but that it's a BIG addition (imo) to the wholeness of one's improved pool game.

And I noticed today they added a section about competing after my long-winded email:

Competing
While practice is a great way to work on your game and establish solid fundamentals, competing is also very important (even if you don’t feel ready). Earlier, I mentioned establishing mental targets, another way to think of this is mental toughness. According to Melinda, of Pool Journey, the only way to truly establish mental toughness is to compete in as many tournaments as you can. How do tournaments help solidify your mental toughness? Tournaments are full of distractions and noise, not to mention your own nervousness and embarrassment. The more you participate in tournaments, the more chances you will have to steady your breathing and shut out distractions. You’ll make mistakes, but with patience and dedication, you will be able to learn from those mistakes and continue to improve your game.

I am so honored!  And I am so thankful because I am such a HUGE believer in the more you compete, the better you will get faster than just practicing by yourself.

Now, let's go check out the other areas of their website.

No comments: