Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Handicapped Womens Tourney

I recently heard about a monthly women's tourney that was being held in a town about 1 hour and 15 minutes a way (if I drive fast).

As I looked at the flyer, it stated:

Entry fee is based on your current APA skill level (if you have one)
APA 1-2-3 = C player = $5 entry fee = race to 3
APA 4-5-6 = B player = $10 entry fee = race to 4
APA 7-8-9 = A player = $15 entry fee = race to 5
Other players ranked by reputation by tournament host and coordinator.

Since I am not an APA player, I wondered what I would be ranked.  I specially asked, "I have never played APA. I consider myself a B player and am not a Master nor Advanced player with the BCA. What would I be ranked for this tourney?"

I opened up a bad can of worms, one that made me pretty ticked.

The response from a few of the players were: "you play as good as me or better and I'm a 6/7 in APA, so you should be an A" and also, "yea, you are an A."

Then the tourney director chimes in and says,
"...we use the APA as a guideline to (slightly) handicap the tournament... to encourage ladies of all skill levels to play with us. Players who have never played APA (or ...who are inactive and do not have a current skill level on record) are classified by reputation... and yours (as someone else mentioned) is certainly "A" level at our events. We actually have not had any "A" players show up yet, but I will be playing at "A" level this month because of winning it in prior months. Really hope you will come play when you can, and bring some friends :)"

I don't respond. 

I want to respond with, "I was told if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

But I just didn't reply. 

Then the Tourney Director adds,
"Melinda... also see FAQs on our website: "Players from out of town are automatically ranked as "A" players, unless they provide proof of current APA rank." (Based on circumstances, exceptions may occasionally be made to this rule.) I personally would prefer head up play (no matter who enters our events) but a lot of people won't play without "handicaps" anymore... which I think hurts them more than it helps them... but that's just how it seems to be these days :( "

I still don't respond, because now I've gotten pissed earlier because they are all pretty much saying I should play even with Master Players in this tourney AND give weight, and yet then I read I would be an A anyway because I'd be coming from out of town.  WTH...

How do they expect to get players from out of town if most of them will be an A anyway (if they aren't an APA ranked player)??

Ugh.

Someone else states, "You should def be an A and I reply, "It's okay. I'm not interested anymore."  She adds, "Aww, well still lots of love. Maybe I can make it to an event soon to hang out."

Which was SUPER sweet of her to say!  Then I added, "I would like that! This event doesn't seem very "player friendly" imo."

No one else has commented.  I don't blame them.  I sound like a sour puss anyway.  I never should have stated my 'not nice' comment but... I recognized I was still perturbed and decided to state my mind.  I don't normally be crappy or say rude things, but I was frustrated.  I stepped out of my element to say something not better crafted to be received best. I'm usually very careful before speaking rude things.
 
It's obvious I don't like handicapped women's events, huh?  If I become a Master player again (as ranked by the BCAPL), then I will accept all those tourneys I wont be able to play in because I've earned it.
 
Yes, I like men's tourneys that are handicapped, because I don't play even with guys.  I am female and I simply don't play as well as they do.  So, a little weight is always nice for me to be able to still somewhat compete (and not lose all my confidence, lol). 
 
But the idea of driving to an event over an hour away to give up weight to players I normally play even with in weekend tourneys kinda disgusts me and frustrates me.  Would I do well?  Probably.  Would I enjoy the tourney?  Maybe.  But I just can't see wasting my time like that.  I'd rather the event not be handicapped and just let me try my skills against better female players!
 
In this 9ball tourney, I can't believe some of my opponents would race to 3, I would go to 5, when at other events they have defeated me plenty of times in a race to 7!  Ugher.
 
Ya, I'm bitching.  Yes, it doesn't make sense why I'm perturbed.  Just go with it, people!  But, I welcome all comments, as usual!
 
Til Next Time!

1 comment:

poolminnow said...

Those skill level groupings are kind of strange.

The APA generally includes 6's in with the top tier. (If you look at the National Singles Championships that's how they have it arranged. 1-3, 4-5, and 6-9) A skill level six is an advanced player, and it doesn't really make sense to have them play in the same group as a 4 or 5.


I don't know know that would solve your issue here, but without knowing all the details, I can see why the spots would seem off.