Monday, January 11, 2010

Extra Added Bonus

So, as many of you can tell (well, hopefully) I travel to a lot of tournaments. I either drive myself or someone rides with me. Only two times last year did I ride with someone else to tournaments, so that leaves 15 tournaments I drove my own car. A few of those trips I had road partners so that was super cool. For the last few years I had been going mostly by myself and so I forgot how helpful it is to have road partners.

I finally decided to look into and compare roadside assistance companies for my travels (even though I should have already had this YEARS and YEARS ago! Argh).

After looking online and checking out Consumer Reports, I decided on AAA (not to be confused with AA - even both can save your life). AAA is reputable, not too expensive compared to the others, and I liked their towing benefits best.
I signed up last week and printed my "temporary" card from the internet until the real plastic one comes in the mail in a few weeks.

Then on Friday I go online to make a hotel reservation for my next tourney and check out the section that always says: "click here if you are military, AAA, AARP or government."

I would always check the regular rates and then compare them to the "government" rate (I work for the government so I see what the rates are). 98% of the time, the government rate is cheaper than the regular rate. This time, because I am now an honored member of AAA (ahem), I now can check out and compare the AAA rates. Whoa! The govt rate was $6 cheaper than the regular rate and then the AAA rate was $6 cheaper than that govt rate! Woo-Hoo! Extra-added bonus for signing up for something that could one day save me while I'm stranded on the side of the road! Sweeeet!

:)

1 comment:

R Riley said...

I have AAA too.. that's who we have car and home insurance with. You should check out their website. www.aaa-texas.com It has a section for trips and hotels to see what kind of discounted rates you can get.