Thursday, March 19, 2009

Scotch Double Minis

I was out of the BCA Texas State tourney on Thursday night and had LOTS of time to kill on Friday. I watched many awesome matches of friends (Rebecca, Juan, Cris, Danny, and Ernesto) while the day turned into night. In the afternoon, a friend from Dallas asked me if I wanted to play a scotch doubles mini tournament with him but I was too engrossed in watching the matches and didn't feel like playing right then.

A few hours later, another friend came running up to me and asked me to play scotch doubles - he seemed rushed and said there was only one spot left. I said yes. I felt honored of all the chicks in the room he ran up to me, because it was none other than the famous Dennis Strickland from Houston, Texas. He had just finished placing 3rd in the Masters division of the singles event and his brother (Barry) was playing the finals against young sharp shooter Sean Black (who won the singles Open last year here).

Dennis and I have known each other for years but never really had in-depth conversations before, but we always respected each other. I asked him for some advice on a shot in January and that kind of got us talking even more when we would see each other at tournaments.

He signed us up for the open scotch and I told him I'd rather play in Jack and Jill and so he moved us over to that sign up sheet. I found the other guy that had asked me earlier to play, and said I was sorry. I felt bad, but I honestly didn't feel like playing earlier in the day.

It took almost an hour to fill up the jack and jill scotch and they finally called our name. Not ever played scotch with Dennis before, I was nervous, wanted to show off, and yet wondered which shots he'd want me to shoot. I know already NOT to do that - to just play my game - but I still was a little apprehensive.

We played a team that we should beat 3-0 but found ourselves down 0-1! He said we needed to be careful and play our game and we ended up winning 3-2. We won the next match easily 3-1. In the 8-team event, we were already in the finals! First was $100 and second was $40 (entry was $20). It went hill-hill against a really good team in the finals (Helen and Ali) and we lost even though Dennis played AWESOME!

While this mini was going on - my buddy Juan had just placed 3rd in the singles and Dennis' brother Barry won the Masters - Dennis and I both were watching these two players from across the room wondering what was going on in their matches as we played in our little mini tourney. Congrat's to both Juan and Barry!

Dennis had already signed us up for the next mini (yay!) but I was bummed it would be the last tourney of the night. :( Being in the convention center (E-Center) with no windows doesn't allow one to figure out what time of day it is. Little did I know when would finish our second scotch doubles mini tournament it would be 230am!

We won the first match 3-1 and then played against the strong cutie-sexy-pie Yvette Reyes and her partner (Rick I think). We played well and won 3-2 I think. Dennis and I both were making really good shots and we had a few of his friends watching and that was awesome.

We had to wait a long time for the finals and ironically played my team captain Monica and my league teammate Ryan. It went hill-hill and a nice safety by me (hey, I actually "stopped" the cueball) allows us back at the table for the win.

While we were playing in the finals, Ernesto Bayaua won the men's singles event by double dipping Jerry Behnke in the finals. Ernesto played awesome and Dennis and I were applauding his win from across the convention center!

As I mentioned in my previous post about my singles event:
I can honestly say it's been a long time since I felt like this ---> after the tournament that I felt very down on myself and wondered what I was doing playing pool.

However, this feeling changed drastically after I played in two scotch double minis the next night.

And why did playing in these two Scotch Mini-tournaments with Dennis change my mental attitude? Well, several reasons. One, I saw how truly well a player can really play. I know he's a Master player and I know he plays well, but I haven't seen anyone play that well before in 6 games. He missed only one ball. Two, he nailed every straight-in, tough shot. Those shots I struggle with so it was very beneficial for me to see his approach to the shots, to see his confidence, to see him make every one of them. Three, because he plays so well, I found myself playing more and more confidently as the night went on. I found myself seeing shape like I only do when I'm on fire. His confidence led me to try the shots/the shape I know can happen but don't always play confidently to make. Four, he has a different attitude than I'm used to. I'm used to the soft attitude, play well, have fun, win, etc. He was all about making the money (lol), playing to win, not just having fun. Don't get me wrong, we still had fun (we had a blast!). I know I am not describing it well.... but it was the desire that I enjoyed seeing. It was that type of desire I think I needed to see!

It's very difficult to describe, but watching him play SO well, hearing his words and desire, nailing every shot he went for, makes me want to work on my game more. And I so needed that after such a sad singles tournament.

I am SO glad I was able to play with him. That experience and uplift will last a lifetime!

No comments: