Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Custom Cue's

I have custom designed four cues so far in my life. What does "custom" mean? I picked the cue maker, the wood, custom designed the forearm, rings, and butt sleeve, then choose the wrap, weight, and joint to design a "custom cue."

Let me say up front that each of these cues have an amazing hit!

The first was a Jim Buss with beautiful Birds Eye Maple forearm and brass rings with cocobola. It was my first design, ever! Everyone always thought it was a Southwest. It was beautiful! Jim also made me a sister jump/break cue but I eventually sold it b/c I never learned how to jump. LOL. Here are the pics of the Jim Buss, which I currently use as my break cue:
Jim Buss
1st design, forearm

Jim Buss
1st design, joint

Jim Buss
1st design, butt sleeve

My second custom design was for a Jacoby. I tried to design it with points this time in the forearm and some windows in the butt sleeve. I love diamonds and I put them in the points and butt. As you see, I stayed with Birds Eye Maple, checkered rings, and a leather wrap. This one had a steel joint:
Jacoby
2nd design, butt sleeve
Jacoby
2nd design, forearm

My third custom design was for another Jacoby. I tried to design it with more of what I had been envisioning. Although I liked the other design, I was looking for a more feminine looking cue and also one that reminded me of a Jim Buss that Jim made for Jeremy Jones in the 90s. Unfortunately, it got stolen and was never recovered (well, the second time it was stolen - long story) but I loved the look so much. This time I wanted even more points in the forearm, lighter checkered rings, and a different butt sleeve that showed the beautiful Birds Eye Maple. Again, I stayed with a leather wrap (I will always have a leather wrap). This one also had a steel joint:
Jacoby
3rd design, butt sleeve
Jacoby
3rd design, forearm
Jacoby
3rd design, joint and close-up of rings

My fourth custom design was for another Jim Buss! I really loved my Jacoby, but also loved my original Jim Buss. Plus, it was obvious by now I loved to design cues!

I tried to get close to what I thought that Jim Buss owned by Jeremy Jones looked like. I called Jeremy and Jim to try and figure out if they could remember the cue specs. That cue had cocobola, but I wanted a lighter wood in the points. This design was much closer to what I had envisioned, but I hadn't thought enough about the joint and after I received it, I didn't like the joint colors. Everyone else liked it, but I did not. Also, the wood we used in the points and butt sleeve had too much of a reddish tint/tone to it and I wanted more of a light brown/tan color. Otherwise, the design was perfect! I especially loved the 4 white diamonds in the butt that made a bigger diamond! But, alas, I had to send it back and he is working on a new one for me. Again, I stayed with Birds Eye Maple, checkered rings, and a leather wrap. This one I asked for a wood joint:
Jim Buss
4th design, forearmJim Buss,
4th design, butt sleeve

Jim Buss
4th design, joint

No comments: